Posted to user@knox.apache.org by Odon Copon <od...@gmail.com> on 2019/03/13 16:25:30 UTC

Hive CLI behind Knox

After reading Knox documentation I'm not totally sure how Knox can sit in
front of Hive accesses through JDBC/Beeline and Hive CLI.
From the docs, I see it does for JDBC connections so I assume it does for
Beeline as well, as both hit HiveServer2, but what about Hive CLI that go
directly to the Hive Metastore?.
Thanks.

Re: Hive CLI behind Knox

Posted by Kevin Risden <kr...@apache.org>.

> some connections might be not able to connect to HS2?

Not sure what you mean by "some connections". HTTP mode works for
JDBC/ODBC. There are 2 modes HTTP and binary. Both are thrift it just is a
different protocol. Knox only works with HTTP. Existing binary connections
(which are on a different port typically) will not work but there is
usually a slightly different way to connect over HTTP. This is probably a
better question for the Hive project.

> Would a user be able to bypass Knox by using an old Hive CLI (no beeline
> based) even if HS2 is using the latest Hive version with Hive CLI wrapping
> beeline?

If the user has a Kerberos ticket then they would be able to connect I
think. It is more of a question for the Hive project though. Knox can't
enforce access outside of it.

Kevin Risden

Re: Hive CLI behind Knox

Posted by Odon Copon <od...@gmail.com>.