Posted to dev@spamassassin.apache.org by Daniel Quinlan <qu...@pathname.com> on 2005/01/20 09:36:29 UTC

Re: svn commit: r125722 - /spamassassin/trunk/MANIFEST /spamassassin/trunk/lib/Mail/SpamAssassin/Conf/Parser.pm /spamassassin/trunk/lib/Mail/SpamAssassin/PerMsgStatus.pm /spamassassin/trunk/t/SATest.pm /spamassassin/trunk/t/desc_wrap.t

jm@apache.org writes:

> Author: jm
> Date: Wed Jan 19 22:03:05 2005
> New Revision: 125722

> Log:
> removed description-length limits entirely, and set new rule-name length
> limit of 50 characters.  Instead, implemented some sensible wrapping
> code to deal with it at the report-generation step.   Added test script
> for wrapping code.

-1 on this change, the new formatting is terrible compared to the old
formatting.  It's just not all that hard to name and describe rules with
the limits.  Yes, it's a bit more work when writing rules, but easily
readable reports are far more important.

excerpt of old:

------- start of cut text --------------
 2.5 RCVD_IN_XBL            RBL: Received via a relay in Spamhaus XBL
                            [69.226.175.17 listed in sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org]
 0.6 URIBL_SBL              Contains an URL listed in the SBL blocklist
                            [URIs: xiagra.net]
 3.9 URIBL_SC_SURBL         Contains an URL listed in the SC SURBL blocklist
                            [URIs: xiagra.net]
------- end ----------------------------

excerpt of new:

--
Daniel Quinlan
http://www.pathname.com/~quinlan/

Posted by Loren Wilton <lw...@earthlink.net>.
I agree with Daniel that the new formatting isn't real nice; and in the
cited example I can't see any reason for the formatting change.

However I also strongly agree with Justin's reasoning and stated limits on
doing this.

I think I regard this as bugs in the new formatting code that can be cleaned
up with a revised patch.

        Loren

Posted by Duncan Findlay <du...@debian.org>.
On Thu, Jan 20, 2005 at 12:36:29AM -0800, Daniel Quinlan wrote:
> jm@apache.org writes:
>
> > Author: jm
> > Date: Wed Jan 19 22:03:05 2005
> > New Revision: 125722

> > Log:
> > removed description-length limits entirely, and set new rule-name length
> > limit of 50 characters.  Instead, implemented some sensible wrapping
> > code to deal with it at the report-generation step.   Added test script
> > for wrapping code.
>
> -1 on this change, the new formatting is terrible compared to the old
> formatting.  It's just not all that hard to name and describe rules with
> the limits.  Yes, it's a bit more work when writing rules, but easily
> readable reports are far more important.

I'm also -1. I believe I wrote most of that formatting stuff and we
agreed on it at the time (I think...). If we're going to change it, we
need to come up with an alternative that's just as readable...

--
Duncan Findlay