Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Sergey Yevtushenko <se...@inferenzsysteme.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de> on 2002/10/19 10:04:15 UTC

[collections] suggestion for change in MultiHasMap

Current implementation of  MultiHashMap has one problem with notion of
equality.
Namely, when for some key some value is added, and then removed from
MultiMap, and this value was only one value, that was put for this key
than multimap wouldn't be equal to with same values of key/value pairs,
in which this new value was not added.

This can be demonstrated by following test (can be added to
TestMultiHashMap.testMapEquals):

 public void testMapEquals() {
        MultiHashMap one = new MultiHashMap();
        Integer value = new Integer(1);
        one.put("One", value);
        one.remove("One", value);

        MultiHashMap two = new MultiHashMap();
        assertEquals(two, one);
    }

Suggested fix for this problem is the following change in code of
MultiHashMap.remove(Object key, Object value).

public Object remove( Object key, Object item )
    {
        ArrayList valuesForKey = (ArrayList) super.get( key );

        if ( valuesForKey == null )
            return null;

      valuesForKey.remove( item );
//start of change
        if(valuesForKey.isEmpty()){
            remove(key);
        }
//end of change
        return item;
    }

Best Regards.

Sergey Yevtushenko

Re: [collections] suggestion for change in MultiHasMap

Posted by "Michael A. Smith" <ma...@apache.org>.
We're in the release process so this cannot be fixed at the moment, so
please file a bug in Bugzilla so we don't lose track of this:
http://issues.apache.org/bugzilla/enter_bug.cgi?product=Commons

regards,
michael