Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Hernan Silberman <hs...@pdi.com> on 2004/08/05 20:49:52 UTC

[id] how stable is id?

Just a quick query to check the staus/stability of the id component.  Judging
from a quick look at CVS, things haven't changed too much recently.  Please let
me know if there are plans for a release in the near future.

thanks!
Hernan

RE: [id] how stable is id?

Posted by Tim Reilly <ti...@consultant.com>.
Hi Hernan,

> [Hernan Silberman wrote:]
> Just a quick query to check the staus/stability of the id
> component.

With respect to the uuid package; everything is functional; however IMO it
needs rework (all my naughty doings):
- visibility, coupling, and maybe changes in package arrangement. I've been
mentally blocked on it for a while.

I'd like to add the persistence features Oliver Zeigermann suggested. The
uuid's state classes could possible use a persistence abstraction at a
higher level than where it is atm.
If your using [id] I would recommend using some indirection - at least to
the uuid functionality, so that if something changes you can manage it
easily. Or pulling out what you need for now. The stuff Phil and Gary did is
pretty eloquent/stable in my opinion.

> Judging
> from a quick look at CVS, things haven't changed too much
> recently.  Please let
> me know if there are plans for a release in the near future.

No release plans on the table. I do hope to have time in Sept to work on
fixing the above if not sooner. Actually, if I wasn't architecturally
challenged...probably more sooner. But no guess as to when a release might
occur.
Maybe Phil, or Gary, or others have more thoughts.

Thanks,
-TR