Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Richard Reyes <ri...@gmail.com> on 2005/05/04 14:16:39 UTC

[OT] Help in Application Design

Hi Guys,

I have been task to maintain several jsp web applicatiohumonguosns.
Each application has about 15 humonguos jsp's. Their original designs
are to submit jsp pages to itself so each jsp
contains large volumes of java codes.

>From time to time a new feature request comes and there comes the need
to modify this applications. Im planning to gradually shift it to a
better design so it'll be easier for me to maintain and to improve
performance.

Any suggestions on a design template I can take Model 1 or Model 2?
Any other things I should consider in upgrading this applications?

There is a new JSF version in the making but I think it'll take a year
before it can be used on
production version so ill be stuck here for a whilel.

Regards
Richard

Re: [OT] Help in Application Design

Posted by Michael Jouravlev <jm...@gmail.com>.
If you prefer to have one page/one object paradigm and to submit page
to itself, you might want to do it in JSF. If you prefer front
controller paradigm which Struts uses, then you might want to move all
code from JSPs into business classes, which are called from Struts
actions, and to transform your JSPs into data-aware HTML. Front
controller approach gives better control on browser's session history.

Thus, you would use JSPs as a pure presentation technology, and Struts
as controller framework. This approach allows to switch from JSP to
something else more easily, and to switch from Struts to other front
controller like Spring more easily too.

On the other hand, if your project is in pure JSP and you have not
used Struts yet, you might want to look at other frameworks too.

Posted by "Vic Cekvenich (netsql)" <ce...@gmail.com>.
look at tiles section of struts books
.V