Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Doug Whitfield <dw...@perforce.com> on 2023/01/09 16:55:55 UTC

Question about Redisson

Hi Tomcat Community,

We are seeing and issue that manifests as a cross session “bleeding” scenario. The issue is this:

1. User A make a new request and the request goes to pod A and gets Session1
2. User A's next request then gets redirected to pod B. The request is processed using Session1
3. User B now makes a new request and the request goes to pod B and instead of getting a new session, User B gets the same Session1 as User A

We are using https://github.com/redisson/redisson for caching with Tomcat 9.0.58. Given the fixed bugs in the Tomcat changelog, I have suggested trying 9.0.66 or later. However, this suggestion has been met with resistance.

For those unfamiliar with Redisson, I think the most important high-level piece from their docs is this:
“Redisson's Tomcat Session Manager allows you to store sessions of Apache Tomcat in Redis. It empowers you to distribute requests across a cluster of Tomcat servers. This is all done in non-sticky session management backed by Redis.”

I believe we could take a heap dump and get the answer, but at the moment that isn’t something we want to do.

My question, at the moment, is pretty simple. How does this interact with Tomcat? Would the session management bugs in Tomcat apply?

Best Regards,

Douglas Whitfield | Enterprise Architect, OpenLogic<https://www.openlogic.com/?utm_leadsource=email-signature&utm_source=outlook-direct-email&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2019-common&utm_content=email-signature-link>
Perforce Software<http://www.perforce.com/?utm_leadsource=email-signature&utm_source=outlook-direct-email&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2021-common&utm_content=email-signature-link>
P: +1 612.517.2100 <tel:>
Visit us on: LinkedIn<https://www.linkedin.com/company/perforce?utm_leadsource=email-signature&utm_source=outlook-direct-email&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2021-common&utm_content=email-signature-link> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/perforce?utm_leadsource=email-signature&utm_source=outlook-direct-email&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2021-common&utm_content=email-signature-link> | Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/perforce/?utm_leadsource=email-signature&utm_source=outlook-direct-email&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2021-common&utm_content=email-signature-link> | YouTube<https://www.youtube.com/user/perforcesoftware?utm_leadsource=email-signature&utm_source=outlook-direct-email&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2021-common&utm_content=email-signature-link>

The Star Tribune recognizes Perforce as a Top Workplace in Minnesota. Read more ><https://www.startribune.com/top-workplaces/571419751/>

This e-mail may contain information that is privileged or confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete the e-mail and any attachments and notify us immediately.

Re: Question about Redisson

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Doug,

On 1/12/23 15:51, Doug Whitfield wrote:
>> Also, Chris's suggesiton to look at
>> org.apache.catalina.connector.RECYCLE_FACADES is a good first step.
>> Note that the value you need for that may not be what you expect.
>> It needs to be "true" whereas I read the name and think it should
>> be "false" to disable recycling.
>
> Thanks for coming back to this. This is actually exactly where I
> started, but I have not heard back, which is why I didn’t address
> it.
>
> BTW, can’t make any promises since not sure how far up things need to
> go, but my initial suggestions to marketing about changing that text
> on the landing page were met very positively. I’m OOO next week, so
> suspect it’ll be a while before you hear anything back, but this
> might get fixed next week.

Thank you very much. We do appreciate it, since we really do try to
provide decent community support here.

-chris

Re: Question about Redisson

Posted by Doug Whitfield <dw...@perforce.com>.

Re: Question about Redisson

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
Doug,

There were a couple of questions in my original response it would be
useful to get answers to.

Also, Chris's suggesiton to look at
org.apache.catalina.connector.RECYCLE_FACADES is a good first step. Note
that the value you need for that may not be what you expect. It needs to
be "true" whereas I read the name and think it should be "false" to
disable recycling.

Mark

Re: Question about Redisson

Posted by Doug Whitfield <dw...@perforce.com>.

Re: Question about Redisson

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.
Doug,

On 1/9/23 15:48, Doug Whitfield wrote:
> Interesting. I’m not on the marketing team. What comments are you
> talking about? I can certainly try to get them removed.
I think he's talking about this:

"Don’t let your team waste another minute wading through outdated forums
or online documentation to fix, secure, or maintain your
mission-critical infrastructure. Get the technical support you need for
the open source software you use — all in one place."

[https://www.openlogic.com/]

> We don’t fork software which means when we find a bug we always work
> with upstream to get it fixed. The idea that we don’t work with the
> community when necessary is an insane for anything to put on our
> website (doesn’t mean I have any power to fix the copy though).
Understood. I think Mark is mostly trying to make a point. He's
obviously willing to engage on the actual question, as well, as you can see.

One thing I wanted to make perfectly clear, which is something I was
confused about when first encountering the term "recycling" when it
comes to certain types of object (like request, response, etc.) in
Tomcat. When the Tomcat documentation says these objects are "recycled"
it really means that they are "re-used". That is, assuming a stable
server where no weird errors occur and the number of connections is
relatively constant, no new Request and Response objects will be created
over time. Instead, they will have their various fields blanked-out for
re-use with a subsequent request. This is a performance optimization to
avoid GC churn, since request and response objects are usually short-lived.

You can get an application to expose its misuse of request- or
response-related objects by disabling this recycling in your
configuration. The result is usually very obvious errors in the log file
due to NPE or similar.

The first step toward debugging IHMO would be to disable recycling and
repeat your tests. I'm assuming given your STR that this is trivially
reproducible?

Re: Question about Redisson

Posted by Doug Whitfield <dw...@perforce.com>.

From: Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>