Posted to torque-dev@db.apache.org by Thomas Fischer <tf...@apache.org> on 2005/11/05 15:09:24 UTC

[VOTE] release Torque 3.2-rc3 now

Hi,

since the last release, some bugs were detected (TRQS321-TRQS327) and most
of them (TRQS322-TRQS326) were fixed.
The issues TRQS321 and TRQS327 were not fixed for the following reasons:

- For testing TRQS321, a change in the equals()-method of criteria would
be necessary (aliases for tables and columns are not compared in
equals()). In my opinion, this needs some discussion and should not be
done between release candidates.

- For fixing TRQS327, one would have to remove the behaviour that datasets
are loaded in order to delete them, and do a mass delete instead. I must
admit I do not understand fully what change in behaviour that means. This
is something which needs to be done anyway when village support is
removed, and I'd propose to leave it till then.

Also, these bugs (or should we call them unsupported features ?) have been
around a long time (since 3.1.1, at least), and outweighing the risks
against the benefits, it seems to me that these bugs should
be fixed after releasing the final 3.2 release.

Having said this, in my opinion, all relevant bugs which have appeared in
3.2-rc2 are fixed, and I'd propose to create a new rc. So, the question is

Should Torque 3.2-rc3 be created from the current svn trunk ?
[ ] +1 Yes
[ ] 0 I don't care
[ ] No (please give reasons)

    Thomas

Re: [VOTE] release Torque 3.2-rc3 now

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.
Thomas Fischer <tf...@apache.org> writes:

>Should Torque 3.2-rc3 be created from the current svn trunk ?
>[X] +1 Yes
>[ ] 0 I don't care
>[ ] No (please give reasons)

	Best regards
		Henning

		      4 - 8 - 15 - 16 - 23 - 42

Re: [VOTE] release Torque 3.2-rc3 now

Posted by vi...@ldh.org.
On Sat, Nov 05, 2005 at 06:09:24AM -0800, Thomas Fischer wrote:
> Should Torque 3.2-rc3 be created from the current svn trunk ?
> [*] +1 Yes
> [ ] 0 I don't care
> [ ] No (please give reasons)

Go for it !

Re: [VOTE] release Torque 3.2-rc3 now

Posted by Thomas Vandahl <th...@tewisoft.de>.
Thomas Fischer wrote:
> Should Torque 3.2-rc3 be created from the current svn trunk ?
> [X] +1 Yes
> [ ] 0 I don't care
> [ ] No (please give reasons)

Bye, Thomas.

[Result] [VOTE] release Torque 3.2-rc3 now

Posted by Thomas Fischer <tf...@apache.org>.
Hi,

the following votes were given:

Henning Schmiedehausen (committer) +1
Thomas Vandahl (committer)         +1
Scott Eade (committer)             +1
Thomas Fischer (committer)         +1
vido@ldh.org                       +1
Greg Monroe                        +1

This means the vote is passed.

In his vote, Scott Eade requested to include his patch for TRQS321, which
will be included as no objections were raised.

Posted by Thomas Fischer <tf...@apache.org>.
Should Torque 3.2-rc3 be created from the current svn trunk ?
[X] +1 Yes
[ ] 0 I don't care
[ ] -1 No (please give reasons)

    Thomas

Re: TRQS321: Criteria Serialization

Posted by Thomas Fischer <fi...@seitenbau.net>.

Sorry for my noise. I forgot to add to my last message that the uncommented
test case which is in svn works for jvm 1.5.0_01 on linux.

      Thomas

Posted by Thomas Fischer <fi...@seitenbau.net>.

Scott,

I did not see you already provided a patch in scarab. I will look at it
today evening. If noone objects, I will include it into the release.

   Thomas

Thomas Fischer <tf...@apache.org> schrieb am 10.11.2005 09:19:06:

> On Thu, 10 Nov 2005, Scott Eade wrote:
>
> > Thomas Fischer wrote:
> >
> >> I took a quick glance at the issue, and when I uncommented the test
case
> >> you checked in and resolved an issue of visibility (use
> >> "Criteria.getNewCriterion()" instead of "new Criteria.Criterion"), the
test
> >> case did not produce an error.
> >>

> > This is interesting.  What JVM are you using?  I am using J2SE 1.4.2_06
> > from Sun for Win32.
>
> I could reproduce the error at a second machine. It uses 1.4.2-05 for
> linux.
> >
> >> Then I looked what the test case does, and it uses
Criteria.equals(Object)

Posted by Thomas Fischer <tf...@apache.org>.

Posted by Scott Eade <se...@backstagetech.com.au>.
Thomas,

The Criteria serialization fix patch has been attached to the Scarab
issue at http://issues.apache.org/scarab/issues/id/TRQS321

If 3.2-rc3 hasn't been cut yet then this can be included at your
option.  IMO it should be included as it fixes bugs in equals() and
serialization, but as release manager the call is yours to make.

Scott

--
Scott Eade
Backstage Technologies Pty. Ltd.

Re: TRQS321: Criteria Serialization

Posted by Scott Eade <se...@backstagetech.com.au>.
Thomas,

I have sorted this out here - I'm just in the process of tidying up the
code.  Given the nature of the problem I am quite surprised that the
commented test case actually passes for you.

As we are in the throws of voting on an RC with a view to releasing RSN
I will post a patch rather than committing the changes.  Given that
Criteria is actually quite broken and that we haven't yet cut rc3 you
could slip this in if you want to.  I will leave the call to you since
you are managing the release.

Scott

Posted by Scott Eade <se...@backstagetech.com.au>.
Thomas Fischer wrote:

>I took a quick glance at the issue, and when I uncommented the test case
>you checked in and resolved an issue of visibility (use
>"Criteria.getNewCriterion()" instead of "new Criteria.Criterion"), the test
>case did not produce an error.

This is interesting.  What JVM are you using?  I am using J2SE 1.4.2_06
from Sun for Win32.

>Then I looked what the test case does, and it uses Criteria.equals(Object)
>to test whether the two criteria are equal. This is not enough, since
>Criteria.equals does not compare aliases and asColumns. There are two
>possibilities to remedy this:
>- The first is to change criteria.equals, which I did not want to do
>between release candidates, but if somebody else is of another opinion
>here,  we need to discuss it.

If equals() is performing its function correctly then this is IMO a bug
and most bugs warrant fixing - even between release candidates (though
preferably not between the last rc and the final release).
The test case is cloning the Criteria object using serialization - it
would only pick up this problem if the Criteria in use actually used
aliases or asColumns which it does not.
As I said earlier, this has been broken (at least for me) for a while, I
wouldn't hold off 3.2 for this issue as nobody spoke up earlier or felt
that it was worth investing their own time to fix (me included).

>- the second one is to write a custom comparison for the test case and
>remove it once Criteria.equals() is fixed. I admit I was too lazy to do it.

I certainly wouldn't bother doing this.  Note however that the problem
that is encountered is nothing to do with equals(), it is that the
"value" of the Criterion is incorrectly deserialized - the following
assertion (replace the last line in the test case) fails for me:
        assertEquals(c.getValue("Author.NAME"),
cClone.getValue("Author.NAME"));
        junit.framework.AssertionFailedError: expected:<author> but
was:<Author.NAME='author'>

TRQS321: Criteria Serialization (was:Re: [VOTE] release Torque 3.2-rc3 now)

Posted by Thomas Fischer <fi...@seitenbau.net>.

Scott,

[...]

I'll email if I find out anything new.

     Thomas