Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by So...@aol.com on 2000/08/23 15:22:23 UTC

what causes expiration of session

Hi I am just looking for any thoughts or ideas on the subject. In our
application a user logs in and a session is created - req.getSession(true).
All our servlets extends from a base servlet that always checks for a null
session - req.getSession(false). Anyway users are getting strange behavior
when accessing site in AOL.  He will log in fine, his session will be
created, and then at random points deepers in the site, he accesses a
servlet, the base class checks for a session, and it comes up null. This
happens always in AOL, and even in other browsers it may happen now and then
for unexpected reasons. So anyway wondering if anyone else had this problem
in AOL and in general what causes a session to expire randomly. Thanks

Re: what causes expiration of session

Posted by Doug Bateman <do...@techie.net>.
One common cause of this type of behavior is when the users browser isn't
passing cookies back to the server.  I don't use AOL myself, so I can't
verify if this is the case in your situation.

Another possibility is a bug in the servlet inheritance piece of the
application.  Generally, an overriding method in the derived class has to
make an explicit call to the overridden method in the base class if it wants
to be certain the method is called.  So placing a session check in the
service method of a base class won't help you much if you override the
service method in your derived class.

Doug