Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com> on 2006/03/12 23:04:35 UTC

[VOTE] Demote Latka and Resources to Dormant

Demote [latka] to dormant status
(It has no activity and no release)
[ ] +1 - Demote
[ ] -1 - Keep [latka] alive, because...

Demote [reosurces] to dormant status
(It's main customer Struts isn't using it now)
[ ] +1 - Demote
[ ] -1 - Keep [resources] alive, because...

PS: I'm hoping that someone will volunteer to do the actual svn moves
and demotion ;-)

Stephen

Re: [VOTE] Demote Latka and Resources to Dormant

Posted by Dion Gillard <di...@gmail.com>.
On 3/13/06, Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com> wrote:

> Demote [latka] to dormant status
> (It has no activity and no release)
> [ ] +1 - Demote
> [ ] -1 - Keep [latka] alive, because...

+1.  As one of the few committers that has worked on latka.

Demote [reosurces] to dormant status
> (It's main customer Struts isn't using it now)
> [ ] +1 - Demote
> [ ] -1 - Keep [resources] alive, because...

+0.

PS: I'm hoping that someone will volunteer to do the actual svn moves
> and demotion ;-)
>
> Stephen

Chuck Norris sleeps with a night light. Not because Chuck Norris is afraid
of the dark, but because the dark is afraid of Chuck Norris

Re: [VOTE] Demote Latka and Resources to Dormant

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.
On 3/12/06, Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com> wrote:
<snip/>

> PS: I'm hoping that someone will volunteer to do the actual svn moves
> and demotion ;-)

<snap/>

I can do SVN moves (in any direction) as and when volunteers are
needed. Sites too, probably, if they build on the first (or second ;-)
attempt -- I have the "recommended" setup.

-Rahul

Posted by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com>.

Posted by Simon Kitching <sk...@apache.org>.
On Sun, 2006-03-12 at 22:04 +0000, Stephen Colebourne wrote:
> Demote [latka] to dormant status
+1

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@apache.org>.
>> Demote [latka] to dormant status
>> (It has no activity and no release)
>> [ ] +1 - Demote

+1

>> Demote [reosurces] to dormant status
>> (It's main customer Struts isn't using it now)

+0

cheers
--
Torsten

Re: [VOTE] Demote Latka and Resources to Dormant

Posted by Sandy McArthur <sa...@apache.org>.
On 3/12/06, Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com> wrote:
> Demote [latka] to dormant status
> (It has no activity and no release)
> [ ] +1 - Demote
+0
> [ ] -1 - Keep [latka] alive, because...
>
> Demote [reosurces] to dormant status
> (It's main customer Struts isn't using it now)
> [ ] +1 - Demote
+0

--
Sandy McArthur

- Thomas Paine

Re: [VOTE] Demote Latka and Resources to Dormant

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On Mon, 2006-03-13 at 23:22 +0100, Christian Meder wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-03-12 at 22:04 +0000, Stephen Colebourne wrote:
> > Demote [reosurces] to dormant status
> > (It's main customer Struts isn't using it now)
> > [ ] +1 - Demote
> > [ ] -1 - Keep [resources] alive, because...
>
> Hi,
>
> I use a resources snapshot too and I'd really like it to see a release
> because it forms a flexible i18n foundation.

i'm interested in globalization: combining resources with a scripting
language (JEXL, say) to allow expressive multilingural customisation.

> Probably I should move it higher on my todo list ;-)

all we need to folks with time to step up :)

- robert

Re: [VOTE] Demote Latka and Resources to Dormant

Posted by Christian Meder <ch...@absolutegiganten.org>.
On Sun, 2006-03-12 at 22:04 +0000, Stephen Colebourne wrote:
> Demote [reosurces] to dormant status
> (It's main customer Struts isn't using it now)
> [ ] +1 - Demote
> [ ] -1 - Keep [resources] alive, because...

Hi,

I use a resources snapshot too and I'd really like it to see a release
because it forms a flexible i18n foundation.

Probably I should move it higher on my todo list ;-)

				Christian

--
Christian Meder, email: chris@absolutegiganten.org

The Way-Seeking Mind of a tenzo is actualized
by rolling up your sleeves.

                (Eihei Dogen Zenji)

Re: [VOTE] [RESULT] Demote Latka and Resources to Dormant

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 14/03/06, Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com> wrote:

> I suggest that a discussion about renaming Dormat to Unmaintained starts
> in a new thread.

How about Doormat instead  ;-)

[Sorry ...]

Re: [all] dormancy nomenclature [WAS Re: [VOTE] [RESULT] Demote Latka and Resources to Dormant]

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.
On 3/14/06, robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-03-14 at 22:25 +0000, Stephen Colebourne wrote:

<snip/>

> > I'm not going to be able to action this for a few days now.
>
> it'd be best to get some documentation up before making the move

<snap/>

This came up at feedparser time, resulted in (which ofcourse you -- or
anyone else -- is free to edit):

http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-commons/MovingComponents

-Rahul

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On Tue, 2006-03-14 at 22:25 +0000, Stephen Colebourne wrote:

<snip>

> None of this should prevent it being brought back later.

cool

> I suggest that a discussion about renaming Dormat to Unmaintained starts
> in a new thread.

here's the thread :)

i quite like the idea of grades of status and separating the community
organisational (moving to a separate part of the repository) from the
communication perspective. perhaps we allow different states of dormancy
to let users know a little more.

resources has a lot more interest and has a reasonable chance of being
resurrected. there are interested committers who lack the energy ATM to
push the component forward. if an interested developer or two stepped up
then it could quite easily burst into life again. the code base is
mature but limited. the only reason not to use resources is that it
lacks a formal release.

this is quite different from latka.

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.
On 3/14/06, Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com> wrote:
<snip/>

> I'm not going to be able to action this for a few days now. Rahul, you
> volunteered to help move the components, so if you're still willing, the
> opportunity is now there :-)

<snap/>

Yes, it was a blanket offer. Though I'll wait well beyond 72 hours
since the vote(s) were called, as a general courtesy.

-Rahul

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.
On 3/27/06, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> *ping*
>
> In case this one has dropped off of the TODO lists.

<snip/>

Still on the list, and within the next 24 hours.

-Rahul

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
*ping*

Posted by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com>.

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.
On 3/12/06, Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com> wrote:
> Henri Yandell wrote:
> > Are we relegating these to the sandbox, or are we expanding the
> > dormant concept to contain released projects?
> These are unreleased.
>
> (Latka has an official alpha -
> http://jakarta.apache.org/site/downloads/downloads_commons-latka.cgi,
> but this doesn't really count.)

My mistake, I thought resources had a release. Wholehearted +1 to dormancy.

Posted by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com>.

Posted by Simon Kitching <sk...@apache.org>.
On Sun, 2006-03-12 at 14:40 -0800, Henri Yandell wrote:
> On 3/12/06, Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com> wrote:
> > Demote [latka] to dormant status
>
> +1
>
> > Demote [reosurces] to dormant status
>
> +1
>
> Are we relegating these to the sandbox, or are we expanding the
> dormant concept to contain released projects?

Hmm..what happened to the proposals recently to change the terminology?

One proposal was to have "active", "maintained" and "unmaintained" which
I liked. Marking these projects "unmaintained" (so users know what they
are getting into) is really what is happening, yes?

Re: [VOTE] Demote Latka and Resources to Dormant

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Brian K. Wallace" <br...@transmorphix.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Demote Latka and Resources to Dormant

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On Tue, 2006-03-14 at 12:23 +1300, Simon Kitching wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-03-13 at 20:47 +0000, robert burrell donkin wrote:
> > On Mon, 2006-03-13 at 05:25 -0500, James Mitchell wrote:
> > > I agree with Niall.
> > >
> > > I've written several database-based implementations for resources,
> > > and there already exists a Struts plugin for resources that let's our
> > > users use commons-resources now (and is backward compatible to Struts
> > > 1.1).
> > >
> > > The only thing commons-resources really suffers from is not having
> > > someone give the time to do a release.  I feel it is ready, I just
> > > don't have the time right now.
> >
> > i'm hoping that's what dormant means: resources is just suffering from a
> > lack of developer time right. i'd definitely support a move back to
> > proper if anyone steps up with the energy to push it to a release.
> >

> I still prefer the term "unmaintained", which is exactly what it
> currently is. If maintainers appear, then the status can be changed back
> again.
>
> The term "dormant" *does* mean roughly the same thing, but isn't as
> clear I think (particularly for non-native English speakers).

+1

some words on the website explaining this would be very good...

- robert

Re: [VOTE] Demote Latka and Resources to Dormant

Posted by Simon Kitching <sk...@apache.org>.

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.

Posted by James Mitchell <jm...@apache.org>.
I agree with Niall.

I've written several database-based implementations for resources,
and there already exists a Struts plugin for resources that let's our
users use commons-resources now (and is backward compatible to Struts
1.1).

The only thing commons-resources really suffers from is not having
someone give the time to do a release.  I feel it is ready, I just
don't have the time right now.

--
James Mitchell
EdgeTech, Inc.
http://edgetechservices.net/
678.910.8017
Skype: jmitchtx

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@blueyonder.co.uk>.

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
i'm not sure that it's a good idea to call this a demotion. hopefully
one day some components will actually be finished and graduate to
dormant...

On Sun, 2006-03-12 at 22:04 +0000, Stephen Colebourne wrote:
> Demote [latka] to dormant status
> (It has no activity and no release)
> [X] +1 - Demote
> [ ] -1 - Keep [latka] alive, because...

> Demote [reosurces] to dormant status
> (It's main customer Struts isn't using it now)

i use it :)

> [X] +1 - Demote
> [ ] -1 - Keep [resources] alive, because...

for some time now, i've wanted to create a globalization library based
on resources but it can always be moved back again if i ever get the
cycles...

- robert