Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org> on 2003/09/30 14:51:01 UTC

Apache JIRA + Avalon

[this is an edited version of a message I sent a day and a half ago that
hasn't appear on the avalon dev list yet]

---------------

A couple of days ago I went over the current Avalon Bugzilla repository
with the idea of transition to JIRA in the back of my mind.  As of this
morning we have 5 open bugs on Bugzilla.

Some things to note:

(a) there would not be any difficulty in manually transferring the
     five bug reports, so we don't need to be worried about a bugzilla
     import with respect to current issues

(b) the current breakdown of the Avalon project in Bugzilla is basically
     three components - "Avalon", Framework" and "Excalibur" - each of
     which if for all intensive purposes way out of sync. with the
     operational reality and granularity of Avalon today.

(c) there is the question concerning the phoenix database currently
     hosted on the CodeHaus site (leave it where it is or bring it in
     locally?)

I have already suggested to Serge that in the case of Avalon, it would
be feasible to migrate to JIRA without concern for import export issues.
This implies that if we move to JIRA we could consider Bugzilla as an
archive of historic content and focus on JIRA from a clean-slate
perspective.  This would give us more of a chance to sort out the
policies we want to put in place, configuration and administration
aspects, etc.

Personally I prefer the clean-slate approach.

Before I get back to Serge I wanted to (a) let everyone know that JIRA
on Apache is in process, and (b) give a chance to everyone to chime in
with options with respect to using JIRA for Avalon.

Cheers, Steve.

--

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org