Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Sean Busbey <bu...@apache.org> on 2019/10/29 13:25:59 UTC

[DISCUSS] branch-1 versioning and the need for a 1.5.1

Hi folks!

HBASE-23210 "Per user metrics" landed yesterday on branch-1 (thanks
Andrew!). This a new feature is enough to justify a 1.6.0 and
shouldn't be in a maintenance release IMHO. as a result I plan to
update the version in branch-1 to 1.6.0 later today.

Last week I had started the process to get 1.5.1 out the door (tracked
in HBASE-23220) in order to address the same Jackson CVE that we took
care with our latest 1.3 and 1.4 releases. Coincidentally I'm about to
merge another PR to branch-1 that addresses a new Jackson CVE.

The maintenance cost of keeping a dependency on Jackson aside, do
folks still feel like we need more 1.5.z releases?

Given our previously discussed goals to have more minor releases and
fewer maintenance releases, I'm inclined to just push forward with a
1.6.0 release and tell folks on 1.5 to upgrade. The user metrics
feature can be opted out of so I think the relative risk on upgrade is
minimal.

Re: [DISCUSS] branch-1 versioning and the need for a 1.5.1

Posted by OpenInx <op...@gmail.com>.
+1

Thanks Seen.

Posted by Andrew Purtell <an...@gmail.com>.