Posted to dev@perl.apache.org by "Philippe M. Chiasson" <go...@cpan.org> on 2004/02/13 00:34:02 UTC

Re: cvs commit: modperl-2.0/xs/Apache/RequestRec Apache__RequestRec.h

On Thu, 2004-02-12 at 18:18 -0500, Geoffrey Young wrote:
> > A few compilation problems were introduced by this one, see below.
>
> bah, I just don't see those with my compiler.

Oh, well, that's the price to pay when you are not riding the "bleeding"
edge ;-)

> I guess we need to decide what to do about warnings like these that aren't
> caught by older versions of gcc - either the remaining two of us need to
> upgrade or, well, I don't know what.

Well, for now, I don't mind being the gcc -Wall police and expose & fix
problems as I experience them. No urgent need to force a forward upgrade
for anybody.

I do suspect, though, that this error is genuinly a problem :

modperl_callback.c: In function `modperl_callback_run_handlers':
modperl_callback.c:206: warning: implicit declaration of function `MpReqPERL_SET_ENV_SRV'
modperl_callback.c:216: warning: implicit declaration of function `MpReqPERL_SET_ENV_DIR'

Looks like you created those 2 new functions and did not check in their
implementation.

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Philippe M. Chiasson wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-02-12 at 18:46 -0500, Geoffrey Young wrote:
>
>>>Oh, well, that's the price to pay when you are not riding the "bleeding"
>>>edge ;-)
>>
>>:)

>>>Well, for now, I don't mind being the gcc -Wall police and expose & fix
>>>problems as I experience them. No urgent need to force a forward upgrade
>>>for anybody.
>>
>>ok, cool.  the first error looks pretty bogus to me, though - I guess it's
>>the split if-blocks that are giving it trouble (or it's too late in the
>>evening for me :)
>

> Yes, seems the compiler is tripping there (probably the #ifdefs) and
> shouldn't be a problem, really.
>
> Just doing modperl_interp_t *interp = NULL; should shut it up (read,
> 'please geoff')

The compiler is correct about this warning. Since MpDirSETUP_ENV(dcfg) may
return false on the first call, but true on the second.

I think another solution, is what I've proposed before - drop MpDirSETUP_ENV
conditional from select/unselect code and leave it only around
modperl_env_request_populate(aTHX_ r);

It shouldn't have a big overhead, because select/unselect happens anyway later
on in the callback, which is does two if calls and returns:

     if (rcfg && rcfg->interp) {
         /* if scope is per-handler and something selected an interpreter
          * before modperl_callback_run_handlers() and is still holding it,
          * e.g. modperl_response_handler_cgi(), that interpreter will
          * be here
          */
         MP_TRACE_i(MP_FUNC,
                    "found interp 0x%lx in request config\n",
                    (unsigned long)rcfg->interp);
         return rcfg->interp;
     }

Philippe's solution is fine too.

Re: cvs commit: modperl-2.0/xs/Apache/RequestRec Apache__RequestRec.h

Posted by "Philippe M. Chiasson" <go...@cpan.org>.
On Thu, 2004-02-12 at 18:46 -0500, Geoffrey Young wrote:
> > Oh, well, that's the price to pay when you are not riding the "bleeding"
> > edge ;-)
>
> :)
>

> >>I guess we need to decide what to do about warnings like these that aren't
> >>caught by older versions of gcc - either the remaining two of us need to
> >>upgrade or, well, I don't know what.
> >

> > Well, for now, I don't mind being the gcc -Wall police and expose & fix
> > problems as I experience them. No urgent need to force a forward upgrade
> > for anybody.
>
> ok, cool.  the first error looks pretty bogus to me, though - I guess it's
> the split if-blocks that are giving it trouble (or it's too late in the
> evening for me :)

Yes, seems the compiler is tripping there (probably the #ifdefs) and
shouldn't be a problem, really.

Just doing modperl_interp_t *interp = NULL; should shut it up (read,
'please geoff')

> > I do suspect, though, that this error is genuinly a problem :
> >
> > modperl_callback.c: In function `modperl_callback_run_handlers':
> > modperl_callback.c:206: warning: implicit declaration of function `MpReqPERL_SET_ENV_SRV'
> > modperl_callback.c:216: warning: implicit declaration of function `MpReqPERL_SET_ENV_DIR'
> >
> > Looks like you created those 2 new functions and did not check in their
> > implementation.
>
> those are autogenerated in modperl_flags.h via ModPerl::Code.  did you start
> from 'perl Makefile.PL...' or simply 'make'?  or maybe I need to add an
> #include?

Oy! I got bitten by the autogeneration... Just ignore my negative
comments, a full rebuild fixed my problem and all is good again ;)

Problem solved!

Posted by Geoffrey Young <ge...@modperlcookbook.org>.

> Oh, well, that's the price to pay when you are not riding the "bleeding"
> edge ;-)

:)