Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Jason <ha...@comcast.net> on 2003/12/20 03:59:29 UTC

[users@httpd] Remote reboot?

Greetings,

Is there a way to remote reboot an apache server?  I'm using Apache 2.x
on winxp which shouldn't make any difference.  I use my server on a
non-monitor box (access everything over the network/intranet) and would
like to be able to remotely reboot/restart apache without having to
physically be at the apache box.

Thanks

Jason

RE: [users@httpd] Remote reboot?

Posted by Jason <ha...@comcast.net>.
Thanks for the assistance.....actually figured it out before I checked
back here...just use WinXP remote config/connection which I had
forgotten about...makes it easier....note I said WINDOWS
XP....hhhmmmmmmm

jason

Posted by Don <dn...@san.rr.com>.

Posted by Brian Dessent <br...@dessent.net>.
Don wrote:

> Holy Moly! You don't need to reboot the entire machine just to restart
> the Apache server..... just restart the Apache server by itself....
> service httpd restart

The first line of his question was, "Is there a way to remote reboot an
apache server?"  Keyword: reboot.  :-)

Brian

Re: [users@httpd] Remote reboot?

Posted by Don <dn...@san.rr.com>.
On Fri, 2003-12-19 at 19:18, Brian Dessent wrote:
> Jason wrote:
>
> > Is there a way to remote reboot an apache server?  I'm using Apache 2.x
> > on winxp which shouldn't make any difference.  I use my server on a
> > non-monitor box (access everything over the network/intranet) and would
> > like to be able to remotely reboot/restart apache without having to
> > physically be at the apache box.
>
> You could install sshd and then ssh into the box remotely and issue the
> 'shutdown -r now' command, just as with unix.  Cygwin is one (free) way
> to accomplish this, I'm sure there are others.  I'm pretty sure MS's
> terminal services provides something similar, but I think MS only
> includes it with the server versions of its OSs.

Holy Moly! You don't need to reboot the entire machine just to restart
the Apache server..... just restart the Apache server by itself....
service httpd restart

:-)

Re: [users@httpd] Remote reboot?

Posted by Brian Dessent <br...@dessent.net>.

Posted by Don <dn...@san.rr.com>.
On Fri, 2003-12-19 at 19:22, Don wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-12-19 at 18:59, Jason wrote:
> > Greetings,
> >
> > Is there a way to remote reboot an apache server?  I'm using Apache 2.x
> > on winxp which shouldn't make any difference.  I use my server on a
> > non-monitor box (access everything over the network/intranet) and would
> > like to be able to remotely reboot/restart apache without having to
> > physically be at the apache box.
>
> I do that sort of thing all the time...
> from my remote machine.... ssh root@host
> then once I'm logged in.... service httpd restart
> logout
>
> Done. :-)

Sorry... I corrected a typo above...  should be
     service httpd restart

Don

Re: [users@httpd] Remote reboot?

Posted by Don <dn...@san.rr.com>.
On Fri, 2003-12-19 at 18:59, Jason wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Is there a way to remote reboot an apache server?  I'm using Apache 2.x
> on winxp which shouldn't make any difference.  I use my server on a
> non-monitor box (access everything over the network/intranet) and would
> like to be able to remotely reboot/restart apache without having to
> physically be at the apache box.

I do that sort of thing all the time...
from my remote machine.... ssh root@host
then once I'm logged in.... service nttpd restart
logout

Done. :-)