Posted to users@maven.apache.org by "Allen, Daniel" <Da...@kbcfp.com> on 2008/03/07 22:18:02 UTC

Knowing what artifact I need?

Hi all.

I have a general sort of question about writing POMs. When figuring out
what dependencies I need, I frequently come up against the fact that the
web at large refers to package names when talking about class usage,
whereas Maven refers to the name of the jar file that it comes in. So
sometimes I have to go searching for what the proper artifactId is, even
if I know where I could go and manually download the JAR file. For
example, using Spring, I was getting ClassNotFoundExceptions for
org.springframework.scripting.[various classes].  But the artifact that
I needed was not called scripting, it was called spring-support.

This isn't a huge deal, just some extra time on Google, but it would be
convenient if there were some kind of database that mapped actual Java
packages to the names of the JAR artifacts that contain them.

Does anything like that exist currently?
~Dan Allen

--
This message may contain confidential, proprietary, or legally privileged information. No confidentiality or privilege is waived by any transmission to an unintended recipient. If you are not an intended recipient, please notify the sender and delete this message immediately. Any views expressed in this message are those of the sender, not those of any entity within the KBC Financial Products group of companies (together referred to as "KBC FP").

This message does not create any obligation, contractual or otherwise, on the part of KBC FP. It is not an offer (or solicitation of an offer) of, or a recommendation to buy or sell, any financial product. Any prices or other values included in this message are indicative only, and do not necessarily represent current market prices, prices at which KBC FP would enter into a transaction, or prices at which similar transactions may be carried on KBC FP's own books. The information contained in this message is provided "as is", without representations or warranties, express or implied, of any kind. Past performance is not indicative of future returns.

RE: Knowing what artifact I need?

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.
The m2e plugin has an index of central that comes with it. It can also
access index updates and internal repo indexes via Nexus (proximity
replacement)

I'm don't think those are quite what I'm talking about: I put
org.springframework.ejb into the search fields, and didn't get any
results (what I'm hoping this would return would be "spring-remote.jar",
which is where that package is). Am I using it wrong?

Brian:

Do you have any idea where the plugin gets its information from? Are
they keeping some kind of extra-fancy repository-plus?

Posted by Olivier Dehon <od...@gmail.com>.
You can try repository indexes like:
http://mvnrepository.com
or
http://mvnindex.org

-Olivier

Posted by Olivier Dehon <od...@gmail.com>.
Looks like what you were looking for is now available from javacio.us
Have a look at:

http://javacio.us/

and search for "spring pom" or "org.springframework.scripting pom"

This is a really useful feature, and can be integrated within the
results of google searches as well if you have a google account.

HTH -Olivier

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.
The new M2E plugin demoed [1] a few weeks ago had this built in and was
very sweet. They said it would be released soon.

[1] http://blogs.sonatype.com/jvanzyl/2008/02/10/1202684220000.html