Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Tony Wu <wu...@gmail.com> on 2006/09/08 06:56:58 UTC

[classlib][luni]upgrade java.lang.Character to 5.0

Hi all,
I have looked through the java.lang.Character and found there were several
methods missing in Harmony. I'll try to implement these methods if no one
objects :)
All of these methods are coming with Supplementary Character Support of
Tiger. That is, we should handle the character whose code point is after
U+FFFF in our code.
After doing some research, I found there're two ways to achieve:
1.Maintain a HashMap contains the information of supplementary character and
retrieve from it when these methods were invoked.
2.Delegate these methods to ICU4J, which provides extensions to the
java.lang.Character class.

What's your opinion? Any suggestion are welcome :)
--
Tony Wu
China Software Development Lab, IBM

Re: [classlib][luni]upgrade java.lang.Character to 5.0

Posted by Richard Liang <ri...@gmail.com>.
On 9/8/06, Robert Hu <ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Tony Wu 写道:
> > Hi all,
> > I have looked through the java.lang.Character and found there were
> > several
> > methods missing in Harmony. I'll try to implement these methods if no one
> > objects :)
> > All of these methods are coming with Supplementary Character Support of
> > Tiger. That is, we should handle the character whose code point is after
> > U+FFFF in our code.
> > After doing some research, I found there're two ways to achieve:
> > 1.Maintain a HashMap contains the information of supplementary
> > character and
> > retrieve from it when these methods were invoked.
> > 2.Delegate these methods to ICU4J, which provides extensions to the
> > java.lang.Character class.
> >
> > What's your opinion? Any suggestion are welcome :)
> This task is to update current implementation of java.lang.Character,
> about some new feature of J2SE 5.0, it's important to reduce the risk of
> changing such a core class.
> The "HashMap" method may introduce more complexity and more maintenance
> effort into Harmony development, so I think delegating to ICU4J is the
> better choice.
> The only concern is that: does the ICU4J we currently using meet our
> need perfectly?

IMHO, the icu4j_3.4.4 which supports Unicode 4.1 will meet our requirement.

Best regards,
Richard

Richard Liang

Posted by Robert Hu <ro...@gmail.com>.
Tony Wu 写道:

Posted by Andrew Zhang <zh...@gmail.com>.
On 9/8/06, Tony Wu <wu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
> I have looked through the java.lang.Character and found there were several
> methods missing in Harmony. I'll try to implement these methods if no one
> objects :)

Great! Go ahead!

All of these methods are coming with Supplementary Character Support of
> Tiger. That is, we should handle the character whose code point is after
> U+FFFF in our code.
> After doing some research, I found there're two ways to achieve:
> 1.Maintain a HashMap contains the information of supplementary character
> and
> retrieve from it when these methods were invoked.

Where does the data come from?

2.Delegate these methods to ICU4J, which provides extensions to the
> java.lang.Character class.

I prefer this option, although ICU doesn't reponse very quickly. If icu4j
works well, I think there's no reason for Harmony to reinvent the wheel.

If there are some series bugs in ICU4J which may affect our goal, it's
another story.

For now, I strongly recommened you to study icu4j and take a try!  Good
luck. :-)

What's your opinion? Any suggestion are welcome :)
> --
> Tony Wu
> China Software Development Lab, IBM

--