Posted to dev@mahout.apache.org by Marko Novakovic <at...@yahoo.com> on 2008/03/29 08:31:25 UTC

GSOC

I apply for SVM algorithm at Hadoop platform.
I hope that I will be accepted by Google and Appache,
I am serious in intention to do this jos as great.

Greetings

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

Re: GSOC

Posted by Isabel Drost <ap...@isabel-drost.de>.
On Saturday 29 March 2008, Ted Dunning wrote:
> SVM is not the only solution to these problems.  For many search engine
> applications, it isn't even likely to be the best.  Regularized logistic
> regression is a strong candidate as are random forests and boosted trees.

There have been several interesting papers on ranking search results based on
preferences on NIPS 2007. The algorithms presented therein optimise exactly
the criterion used to evaluate search engine rankings. In some cases they
also compare against the svm solution of Thorsten Joachims.

> The algorithm may well have some
> virtues, but it is unlikely to be universal.

There is even an "official theorem" for your statement: the no-free-lunch
theorem :)

> It is more likely that the author who claims this simply has a limited view
> of the range of things that might need to be done.

Or that he just examined the algorithm from exactly one angle that might not
be the one that is important for your problem.

Isabel

--
Flattery is like cologne -- to be smelled, but not swallowed.		-- Josh
Billings
'---''(_/--'  `-'\_) (fL)  IM:  <xm...@spaceboyz.net>

Re: GSOC

Posted by Marko Novakovic <at...@yahoo.com>.
I am changing my proposal according to your advice.
I described what the paralelization is useful.
I mentioned about big database of web pages, what
could I add?

Greetings

--- Ted Dunning <td...@veoh.com> wrote:

> My suggestion is that you either make your proposal
> more about the algorithm
> itself or more about search engine application as
> seen by the user.
>
> As it stands, your proposal doesn't sound like you
> know much about either
> one of these and are making serious decisions about
> implementation without
> learning more about the factors that would drive
> these decisions.
>
> It would also help if you have a friend who speaks
> English well help you
> edit your proposal to make it easier to understand
> and to make sure it says
> what you mean to say.  Many readers of your proposal
> will try to compensate
> for the difficulty in communication, but if you can
> make it easier for them,
> it would help very much.
>
> As an example of what I mean by the algorithm based
> proposal, you could
> simply say that you would like to implement SVM as
> part of the mahout
> project, especially optimized for processing text
> data and relevance
> feedback.
>
> For the user centered kind of proposal, you could
> say what the user problem
> is that you are trying to help with and then
> describe how your
> implementation will help with that.
>
> For a proposal to be successful as an implementation
> using map-reduce, you
> should say why it is important to use parallel
> processing.  Note that it is
> NOT usually important to use a large parallel
> cluster for processing
> relevance feedback because there are only a few
> training examples in these
> cases.  It is also not usually feasible to use SVM
> in a large web index
> because there is no training data and because SVM
> training cost goes up
> dramatically with the size of the problem.

> >> search

OMG, Sweet deal for Yahoo! users/friends:Get A Month of Blockbuster Total Access, No Cost. W00t

Re: GSOC

Posted by Ted Dunning <td...@veoh.com>.

Re: GSOC

Posted by Marko Novakovic <at...@yahoo.com>.
OK, thanks.

Do do you suggest to me to change anything in my
application?

=== message truncated ===

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

Re: GSOC

Posted by Ted Dunning <td...@veoh.com>.

Re: GSOC

Posted by Marko Novakovic <at...@yahoo.com>.
OK,

> [...]

> > Do you think that I should change anything in my
> > application.
> >
> > Greetings
> >
> > --- Ted Dunning <td...@veoh.com> wrote:
> >

> >> SVM is not the only solution to these problems.
> For
> >> many search engine
> >> applications, it isn't even likely to be the
> best.
> >> Regularized logistic
> >> regression is a strong candidate as are random
> >> forests and boosted trees.
> >>
> >> Beware of any author who claims that their
> algorithm
> >> for machine learning
> >> that claims to be better than all others.  The
> >> algorithm may well have some
> >> virtues, but it is unlikely to be universal.  It
> is
> >> more likely that the
> >> author who claims this simply has a limited view

=== message truncated ===

OMG, Sweet deal for Yahoo! users/friends:Get A Month of Blockbuster Total Access, No Cost. W00t

Re: GSOC

Posted by Ted Dunning <td...@veoh.com>.

Re: GSOC

Posted by Marko Novakovic <at...@yahoo.com>.

Re: GSOC

Posted by Ted Dunning <td...@veoh.com>.
SVM is not the only solution to these problems.  For many search engine
applications, it isn't even likely to be the best.  Regularized logistic
regression is a strong candidate as are random forests and boosted trees.

Beware of any author who claims that their algorithm for machine learning
that claims to be better than all others.  The algorithm may well have some

Re: GSOC

Posted by Marko Novakovic <at...@yahoo.com>.

Re: GSOC

Posted by Karl Wettin <ka...@gmail.com>.
Marko Novakovic skrev:

Hi Marko,

> I apply for SVM algorithm at Hadoop platform.
> I hope that I will be accepted by Google and Appache,
> I am serious in intention to do this jos as great.

great news! Feel free to post your proposal here too.

     karl

Re: GSOC

Posted by Isabel Drost <ap...@isabel-drost.de>.
On Sunday 30 March 2008, you wrote:
> This is my application, give me feedback, please.

Sorry, I am having a slow network connection now and made the mistake to start
answering mails before everything was here. I saw your extended application
only after replying to your initial mail :(

Isabel

--
"You're a creature of the night, Michael.  Wait'll Mom hears about this."		--
from the movie "The Lost Boys"
'---''(_/--'  `-'\_) (fL)  IM:  <xm...@spaceboyz.net>

Re: GSOC

Posted by Marko Novakovic <at...@yahoo.com>.
> I think it would be great if you could add a little
> more information to your
> application - if you have not already done so in the
> GSoC web form. Some
> ideas of useful information, that can help us judge
> your application:
>
>  - your background
>  - your reason for applying to do this task
>  - your first project plan how you want to proceed
>  - whatever else you think might help us decide that
> you are a perfect fit

This is my application, give me feedback, please.

The Implementation of Support Vector Machine Algorithm
at Hadoop Platform

Abstract

I have been researching in Search Engines
functionalities, like ranking, presenting relevant
page to users, etc.
I noted that SVM algorithm is good solution for
clasifying crawled Web pages in search engines.
After I had been reading and elaborating article
[Joachims, 2007]
I decided to implement SVM optimized for processing
text data and retrieving relevant feedback.
According to SVM is very complex algorithm, which has
a lot of operations,
I choose map-reduce Hadoop platform.

[Joachims, 2007] T. Joachims, F. Radlinski: "Search
Engines that Laerning from Implicit Feedback," IEEE
Computer, August 2007, pp 38

Detailed Description

Dear Google and Apache,

Project: Lucene Mahout

My Idea:

I have idea to implement model and solution for
retrieving relevant ranking Web pages, in order to
user's recent behavior.
According to SE-s have a lot of crawled Web pages,
machine learning algorithms, which is used by SE, must
be realized as distributed or paralilized, if we want
to obtain  real-time results  and have fresh retrieved
database.
I want to implement the Support Vector Machine (SVM)
formulation for optimizing multivariate performance
measures described in [Joachims, 2005]. Furthermore,
that would implement the alternative structural
formulation of the SVM optimization problem for
conventional binary classification with error rate and
ordinal regression described in [Joachims, 2006].
There is not usually important to use a large parallel
cluster for processing relevance feedback because
there are only a few training examples in these cases.
According to SVM training cost goes up extremly with
the size of the problem (quadratic complexity), I want
to deploy this solution at first 100 pages for each
combination of user and query.
I also, choose SVM algorithm because I comprehend that
this is big temptation for me and will be useful for
professors at my college.
I will exploit working on this project for writing new
article about deployment of SVM algorithm optimization
at SE-a.
I have prepared to this project reading articles:
[1] C. Burges, "A Tutorial on Suppot Vector Machines
for Pattern Recognition," Kluwer Academic Publishers,
Boston, 1998
[...]

[Joachims, 2006] T. Joachims, Training Linear SVMs in
Linear Time, Proceedings of the ACM Conference on
Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining (KDD), 2006.
[Joachims, 2005] T. Joachims, A Support Vector Method
for Multivariate Performance Measures, Proceedings of
the International Conference on Machine Learning
(ICML), 2005.

Re: GSOC

Posted by Isabel Drost <ap...@isabel-drost.de>.
On Saturday 29 March 2008, Marko Novakovic wrote:
> I apply for SVM algorithm at Hadoop platform.
> I hope that I will be accepted by Google and Appache,
> I am serious in intention to do this jos as great.

I think it would be great if you could add a little more information to your
application - if you have not already done so in the GSoC web form. Some
ideas of useful information, that can help us judge your application:

 - your background
 - your reason for applying to do this task
 - your first project plan how you want to proceed
 - whatever else you think might help us decide that you are a perfect fit

Isabel

--
You look like a million dollars.  All green and wrinkled.
  |\      _,,,---,,_       Web:   <http://www.isabel-drost.de>
'---''(_/--'  `-'\_) (fL)  IM:  <xm...@spaceboyz.net>