Posted to user@bigtop.apache.org by Daithi O Crualaoich <da...@guardian.co.uk> on 2012/08/22 15:29:36 UTC

bigtop-0.4.0-incubating/repos?

Hello,

I got caught when the link at
http://www.apache.org/dist/incubator/bigtop/stable was moved.

There is a http://www.apache.org/dist/incubator/bigtop/bigtop-0.3.0-incubating/repos
but no http://www.apache.org/dist/incubator/bigtop/bigtop-0.4.0-incubating/repos?

I had a look at using
http://bigtop01.cloudera.org:8080/view/Releases/job/Bigtop-0.4.0/label=precise/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/output/bigtop.list
instead but the packages are not signed.

Daithi
Visit guardian.co.uk - newspaper of the year

www.guardian.co.uk    www.observer.co.uk     www.guardiannews.com

On your mobile, visit m.guardian.co.uk or download the Guardian
iPhone app www.guardian.co.uk/iphone and iPad edition www.guardian.co.uk/iPad

Save up to 37% by subscribing to the Guardian and Observer - choose the papers you want and get full digital access.
Visit guardian.co.uk/subscribe

This e-mail and all attachments are confidential and may also
be privileged. If you are not the named recipient, please notify
the sender and delete the e-mail and all attachments immediately.
Do not disclose the contents to another person. You may not use
the information for any purpose, or store, or copy, it in any way.

Guardian News & Media Limited is not liable for any computer
viruses or other material transmitted with or as part of this
e-mail. You should employ virus checking software.

Guardian News & Media Limited

A member of Guardian Media Group plc
Registered Office
PO Box 68164
Kings Place
90 York Way
London
N1P 2AP

Registered in England Number 908396

Re: bigtop-0.4.0-incubating/repos?

Posted by Daithi O Crualaoich <da...@guardian.co.uk>.
> There was a discussion a couple of month ago that made us reconsider
> publishing binary convenience artifacts on the Apache infrastructure.
> Bigtop 0.4.0 is the first release where we only put the source code out (just
> like any Apache project should). Anybody can build the convenience artifacts
> from the sources or if they so prefer they can use the artifacts hosted on
> the same bigtop01 infrastructure.

Okay. That makes sense.

> I've just pushed the signed repos out and the list/repo pointer files can be
> grabbed from their usual place:
>     http://www.apache.org/dist/incubator/bigtop/bigtop-0.4.0-incubating/repos/
> (or from your local mirror once that is updated).

Thanks.

> Either way you want to consume the artifacts -- please let us know your
> experience with Bigtop 0.4.0!

Was very glad to find Bigtop. I haven't had fun installing flume,
zookeeper and some of the other elements in the past so this was
great. The version of Flume isn't so good any more so I might take a
look at FLUME-1404.

Keep up the great work.

Posted by MTG dev <de...@magnatempusgroup.net>.

Sorry, for some email encoding issues.
On Thu, August 23, 2012
11:13 pm, MTG dev wrote:

> Roman,

> we at Magna Tempus Group are working on essentially Bigtop

> distribution of

> Hadoop-based data analytics stack. The packages for Fedora

> and Ubuntu are available from our repository here
http://www.magnatempusgroup.net/ftphost/release/MTG-0.3.1/. > More
platforms and components are coming in the near future.
> I was
wondering if the artifacts you have published are an

> Apache only release or other vendors can share their distributions
as

> well using the same entry point? We keep supporting 1.x line of
Hadoop and

> it might be useful for people who are using this version and plan to
stay

> on in for some time.

> Please let me know how we can help to share our artifacts

> with the rest of the community using links from the dist.

> With regards,

> Alef

> On Thu, August 23, 2012 2:59 pm, Roman

> Shaposhnik wrote:

>> Hi Daithi!

>> On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 6:29 AM, Daithi O Crualaoich

>> <da...@guardian.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Hello,

>>> I got caught when the link at

>>> http://www.apache.org/dist/incubator/bigtop/stable was
moved.

>> Yes we did push the Bigtop 0.4.0 out a couple of weeks ago.

>> Bigtop 0.4.0 is a the first release of bigtop to be built on
top

>> of next generation Hadoop platform (Hadoop 2.0 codeline)

>> so depending on your needs you might want to either stay

>> with Bigtop 0.3.0 (which is still in place) or embrace the
future

Posted by MTG dev <de...@magnatempusgroup.net>.
Hello Bruno.

I appreciate the detailed explanation. Yes, you right - we have picked 1.0.3
because it was the most advanced 1.x release at the date - I missed that part.

As for the formalities and the procedure - I don't have an educated opinion
on these matters, because I am not a part of ASF in any way. So, I am sure you
are painting a correct picture here. We are going to be offering our support
for BigTop in the form of patches in the future. But I am not sure we can
stick the same release pace or set of comprising components.

Thanks for the information, at any rate.
Good luck!
  Alef
  Magna Tempus Group

Posted by Bruno Mahé <bm...@apache.org>.