Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Mayuresh Rajwadkar <m....@ieee.org> on 2014/04/10 21:36:54 UTC

Update documentation

hi

I support subversion at my workplace and would usually like users to follow

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/subversion/trunk/doc/user/svn-best-practices.html

The file however is outdated and points to Subversion 1.0 documentation...

Attached here is a patch, which would make the trunk point to the nightly
instead of
Subversion 1.0. Yes it probably needs more information, however at least
this fixes the subversion links to point to a more appropriate nightly
version of the documentation instead of a really old one...

Mayuresh

$ svn info svn-best-practices.html
Repository Root: http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf
Repository UUID: 13f79535-47bb-0310-9956-ffa450edef68
Revision: 1586321
Node Kind: file
Schedule: normal
Last Changed Author: dongsheng
Last Changed Rev: 887954
Last Changed Date: 2009-12-07 10:33:55 -0500 (Mon, 07 Dec 2009)
Text Last Updated: 2014-04-10 11:02:56 -0400 (Thu, 10 Apr 2014)
Checksum: d6de0d2d58a006ff2ee98ba4e0bba051bc5f9443

Re: Update documentation

Posted by Julian Foad <ju...@btopenworld.com>.
Hi, Mayuresh.

Thank you for the patch. That 'best practices' file is certainly very out of date.

Mayuresh Rajwadkar wrote:
> I support subversion at my workplace and would usually like users to follow
>
>http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/subversion/trunk/doc/user/svn-best-practices.html
>
> The file however is outdated and points to Subversion 1.0 documentation...
>
> Attached here is a patch, which would make the trunk point to the nightly instead of
> Subversion 1.0. Yes it probably needs more information, however at least this fixes
> the subversion links to point to a more appropriate nightly version of the
> documentation instead of a really old one...

That's a good idea. The first replacement is fine. I think we can find better replacements for the links in the second and fourth sections -- have a look at the version I committed in http://svn.apache.org/r1586631 .

The recommendation to track merges manually, is totally obsolete. I couldn't think why you choose to link it to the "Merge-Sensitive Logs and Annotations" section? I think we should instead delete it, or replace it with a reference to the section on basic merging. For now, I have left it as it was.

We could argue that the whole file exists only for historical interest. It hasn't been materially updated since it was created, exactly ten years ago.

Maybe I'll commit some additional updates to the obsolete sections, or maybe I won't. We could at least add notes saying that they're obsolete.

Thanks.

- Julian