Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Geert Josten <Ge...@daidalos.nl> on 2005/06/28 14:37:36 UTC

[Q] New JavaFlow alternative?

Hi all,

Just a thought: the nice thing about FlowScript is that it is 'compiled' at runtime, but can't that
be done with JavaFlow (or something like that) as well? The JSP engines compile the java code also
at runtime, so why not? This way changing the code will no longer require a restart/redeploy of the
servlet and you still have type checking at your disposal. Makes development easier..

Cheers,
Geert

Re: Compiling Classloader (was Re: [Q] New JavaFlow alternative?)

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@apache.org>.
> I miss it :-(.

Maybe have a look into jci

http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/sandbox/jci/

cheers
--
Torsten

Compiling Classloader (was Re: [Q] New JavaFlow alternative?)

Posted by Mark Lundquist <ml...@comcast.net>.
On 2005-06-28 05:43:32 -0700, Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org> said:

> Geert Josten wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Just a thought: the nice thing about FlowScript is that it is
>> 'compiled' at runtime, but can't that be done with JavaFlow (or
>> something like that) as well? The JSP engines compile the java code
>> also at runtime, so why not? This way changing the code will no longer
>> require a restart/redeploy of the servlet and you still have type
>> checking at your disposal. Makes development easier..
>
> you know what, it's already available (in trunk) ;-)

Whatever happened to the compiling classloader?  I used that all the
time back in 2.1.4, and then I guess it went away?  The comments
explaining this for <reload-scripts> in cocoon.xconf have been removed
since then.  However, the docs still talk about it
(http://cocoon.apache.org/2.1/userdocs/flow/java.html#Dynamic+Compilation).

miss it :-(.

What is the deal with that, anyway?

cheers,
—ml—

Re: [Q] New JavaFlow alternative?

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@apache.org>.
> But.. what do I look for?

Well ...javaflow :)

There are a couple of different
ways to use it though.

 o rewrite at build time
 o rewrite through jci (autocompiling)
 o rewrite through eclipse

As long as the classpath is registered
in the sitemap it will automagically
reload the classes.

I personally would prefer the eclipse
way ...but jci might the be the way
for a deployed system.

Please note that the cforms integration
still needs to be ported from the 2.1
branch into trunk.

Let me know if you need further help

cheers
--
Torsten

Re: [Q] New JavaFlow alternative?

Posted by Geert Josten <Ge...@daidalos.nl>.
Great!

But.. what do I look for?

G.

Reinhard Poetz wrote:

> Geert Josten wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Just a thought: the nice thing about FlowScript is that it is
>> 'compiled' at runtime, but can't that be done with JavaFlow (or
>> something like that) as well? The JSP engines compile the java code
>> also at runtime, so why not? This way changing the code will no longer
>> require a restart/redeploy of the servlet and you still have type
>> checking at your disposal. Makes development easier..
>

> you know what, it's already available (in trunk) ;-)

--
Geert.Josten@Daidalos.nl
IT-consultant at Daidalos BV, Bleiswijk (NL)

http://www.daidalos.nl/
tel:+31-(0)10-850 12 00
fax:+31-(0)10-850 11 99

GPG: 1024D/12DEBB50