Posted to users@ws.apache.org by Shimon Crown <sh...@equipnet.co.il> on 2002/03/03 10:22:33 UTC

Newbie - Is this a good idea and where is the source code for this project ?

Recently I developed an applet that takes data from a web server either by RMI or if not available by SOAP. The SOAP was simple enough to do using the Apache product. However I was horrified to see the amount  of baggage  I have to carry for SOAP (something like over 1MB of junk - most of which I don't need). So I thought of looking at XML-RPC as an alternative. My first obstacle to using XML-RPC is that I use a few user defined types in my code. I could rewrite the interface to remove these types but I would much prefer to develop my own handler as this wouldn't allow a similar interface for both SOAP and XML-RPC.

Okay so know my questions are :

1) Is this a good idea - It may break some of the generic nature of XML-RPC but I don't really need this as I have the SOAP for this anyway.
2) Where can I get source code for this project. I may be blind but I don't see it any source for Invoker in the downloads or CVS.

Thanks,

Shimon

Re: Newbie - Is this a good idea and where is the source code for thisproject ?

Posted by Shimon Crown <sh...@equipnet.co.il>.
> [snip]
>
>    Do you want to add new tags to the XML-RPC message (which would break
> interoperability, of course) or do you want to write a set of custom
> serialiser/deserialiser for each of your types? Either is possible but the
> second option means that you are not forking the code base.

Clearly the second option is better.

> [snip]
>
> > 2) Where can I get source code for this project. I may be blind but I
> don't see it any source for Invoker in the downloads or CVS.
>
>     Sorry, I misread this question. Invoker is in XmlRpcServer.java (line
> 332).

Thanks - I see it now.

Actually having looked a bit further into this stuff I think I might go for
the Marquee XML-RPC as their way of writing custom serializers/deserializers
is much more similar to the SOAP approach which I am used to already. I
gather the Marquee project is derived from the same source as Apache
XML-RPC.

Shimon Crown

Re: Newbie - Is this a good idea and where is the source code for thisproject ?

Posted by Shimon Crown <sh...@equipnet.co.il>.

Posted by John Wilson <tu...@wilson.co.uk>.
[snip]

> 2) Where can I get source code for this project. I may be blind but I
don't see it any source for Invoker in the downloads or CVS.

Shimon,

    Sorry, I misread this question. Invoker is in XmlRpcServer.java (line
332).

John Wilson
The Wilson Partnership
http://www.wilson.co.uk

Re: Newbie - Is this a good idea and where is the source code for this project ?

Posted by John Wilson <tu...@wilson.co.uk>.
> Recently I developed an applet that takes data from a web server either by
RMI or if not available by SOAP. The SOAP was simple enough to do using the
Apache product. However I was horrified to see the amount  of baggage  I
have to carry for SOAP (something like over 1MB of junk - most of which I
don't need). So I thought of looking at XML-RPC as an alternative. My first
obstacle to using XML-RPC is that I use a few user defined types in my code.
I could rewrite the interface to remove these types but I would much prefer
to develop my own handler as this wouldn't allow a similar interface for
both SOAP and XML-RPC.

> Okay so know my questions are :
>
> 1) Is this a good idea - It may break some of the generic nature of
XML-RPC but I don't really need this as I have the SOAP for this anyway.
> 2) Where can I get source code for this project. I may be blind but I
don't see it any source for Invoker in the downloads or CVS.

Shimon,

    Do you want to add new tags to the XML-RPC message (which would break
interoperability, of course) or do you want to write a set of custom
serialiser/deserialiser for each of your types? Either is possible but the
second option means that you are not forking the code base.

The code is available under CVS at cvs.apache.org /home/cvspublic in the
xml-rpc stream.

John Wilson
The Wilson Partnership
http://www.wilson.co.uk

Re: Newbie - Is this a good idea and where is the source code for this project ?

Posted by John Wilson <tu...@wilson.co.uk>.

Posted by John Wilson <tu...@wilson.co.uk>.
[snip]