Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Sonny Chhen <So...@citrix.com> on 2013/02/20 21:31:39 UTC

[Discuss]Apache wedbsite redesign

Hello All,

This is a piggy back off of the marketing thread earlier asking for community help in marketing CloudStack. I mentioned in that thread that I was playing around with the idea of a redesign for the Apache CloudStack site. I did create a mockup and you can see the design at the link below. I feel that this design is clean and will help new people onboarding with CloudStack feel comfortable in exploring the site and learning more about CloudStack. Also the site is more "marketing" friendly and helps in providing a good first impression for those coming to learn about CloudStack for the first time.

I would love to hear your opinions and would like to know if this is something that should be pursued. I can continue working on other pages if this does well, but will need help in development. This could be part of an initiative to redesign a few other areas of CloudStack such as the documentation, documentation portal, social media, and maybe the wiki to provide a more consistent experience.

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Apache+website+redesign+proposal

Thanks You and Best Regards,

Sonny H. Chhen
Manager of User Interface & User Experience | Citrix Systems - CloudPlatform
4988 Great America Parkway, Santa Clara, CA  95054, USA

Re: [Discuss]Apache wedbsite redesign

Posted by Mathias Mullins <ma...@citrix.com>.
David/Chirdeep,

I think Donny's got the right idea though. I think the mission definitely needs to be highlights, but other items that are maybe usually smaller need more attention to really engage. I loved the fact of "Contributing for Non-commiters" and "events and meetups"

Being a non-coder, I never realized there was so many ways to be a part of the community and contribute to the community. I always assumed the "Open Source is for Coders". Past that download it, use it and then complain/rave about it.

Thank you,
Matt

Posted by Mathias Mullins <ma...@citrix.com>.
David/Chirdeep,

Posted by Mathias Mullins <ma...@citrix.com>.
David/Chirdeep,

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

Posted by Chiradeep Vittal <Ch...@citrix.com>.
I like the visual impact.
Is this going to be static? I feel that as the project evolves, different
things need to get highlighted.

Posted by Chiradeep Vittal <Ch...@citrix.com>.
I like the visual impact.

Posted by Chiradeep Vittal <Ch...@citrix.com>.
I like the visual impact.

Posted by Frank Zhang <Fr...@citrix.com>.

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.
On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 05:55:27PM +0000, Musayev, Ilya wrote:
> Just to be clear - I did not mean an immediate vote :)

Totally fair!  Sorry I jumped on that one.

RE: [Discuss]Apache wedbsite redesign

Posted by "Musayev, Ilya" <im...@webmd.net>.
Just to be clear - I did not mean an immediate vote :)

Posted by Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier <jz...@zonker.net>.

Posted by Radhika Puthiyetath <ra...@citrix.com>.
Could we find a place for the cloud monkey somewhere in the Web site?

Posted by Jessica Tomechak <je...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.
On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 11:32 AM, Chip Childers
<ch...@sungard.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 04:26:48PM +0000, Musayev, Ilya wrote:
>> Both cordova.apache.org and couch have the same designs - where top frame is always visible. I like that concept as well.
>>
>> The design proposed by Sonny, is similar to what MS Tablet has, and I personally prefer that - simply due to the fact the link/page you about to visit - has a description of what you about to see. No room for guessing and clicking around - simply precise and straight to the point.
>>
>> My personal opinion also that the background of Sonny original design with CS screenshot - though a good idea - does not match with colors of the layout.
>>
>> I guess we can put this to a vote on other mailing lists and settle it then.
>
> No need to vote right now.  Let's see where the conversation takes us.
>
> Sonny, have any thoughts on the comments made so far?

Agreed - while I am sure that Sonny welcomes feedback, I am also not
willing to dictate how he (or other folks working on this) should be
doing it given that I am not going to be doing any of the work.

--David

Re: [Discuss]Apache wedbsite redesign

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.