Posted to users@tapestry.apache.org by Joey Gibson <jo...@joeygibson.com> on 2005/04/14 00:53:19 UTC

Assets and Checksums (was Re: HtmlArea broken by Tapestry 3.0.3?)

On 4/5/2005 02:29, Richard Lewis-Shell wrote:
> The security hole in the asset service has been closed in 3.0.3 (and CVS
> HEAD) by requiring requestors of assets to supply a MD5 digest of the
> asset.  Tapestry should be generating asset URLs with the digests
> included.  Are you using non-Tapestry code to generate Tapestry URLs?

I have been using 3.0.3 for a few days now on my XP machine with no
problems. Yesterday I found code on the list from a while back for a
RolloverSubmit component that looked nice, so I pulled it down and
turned it into a library. I added that library to my project and began
happily using the component.

Today, however, I moved the war file of my application (with the
component library inside it) from my XP machine to a SuSE linux box.
Both machines are running JBoss 4.0.1sp1. The app loads fine on the
linux box, and pages that don't include the RolloverSubmit display fine.
But those that do contain it (at least this is my working theory) barf
with this:

An exception has occurred.
You may continue by restarting the session.

org.apache.tapestry.ApplicationRuntimeException
Failed to compute checksum for resource {1}.

java.lang.NullPointerException

Stack Trace:
org.apache.tapestry.asset.ResourceChecksumSourceImpl.computeChecksum(ResourceChecksumSourceImpl.java:97)

org.apache.tapestry.asset.ResourceChecksumSourceImpl.getChecksum(ResourceChecksumSourceImpl.java:66)

org.apache.tapestry.asset.PrivateAsset.buildURL(PrivateAsset.java:77)
org.apache.tapestry.html.Body.writeExternalScripts(Body.java:226)
org.apache.tapestry.html.Body.writeScript(Body.java:335)
org.apache.tapestry.html.Body.renderComponent(Body.java:281)
org.apache.tapestry.AbstractComponent.render(AbstractComponent.java:857)

I can only surmise that this is related to the change in the asset
service, but _why_ did it work on my XP machine and not linux? I didn't
include the entire stacktrace, but none of the frames were from my code,
which is even more perplexing.

Is there something I am missing. I can't imagine what the difference
could be since I copied the working war file from my XP machine to the
linux box. Everything else is the same...

I have a feeling that there's some little something that I missed, and
I'll end up looking like an idiot, but I don't see it.

Thanks for any pointers,
Joey

Re: Assets and Checksums (was Re: HtmlArea broken by Tapestry 3.0.3?)

Posted by an...@di.uoa.gr.
Check
http://jakarta.apache.org/tapestry/doc/clover/org/apache/tapestry/asset/ResourceChecksumSourceImpl.html
, line 97 , the resourceURL seems to be null...

So, most probably, you've misspelled the file path in your asset
declaration and since XP is working, it must be an upper or lower case typo!