Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by George Gallen <gg...@slackinc.com> on 2003/04/09 20:21:28 UTC

RE: [users@httpd] referencing without using explicit filenames... .

where is the range of bytes specified?

The "http://URL/adv1.html?PROGRAM=mmenu1&SEL.x=125&SEL.
  is the referrer page?

I can't control what is after the ? it's the values from
within my form.

But I don't understand is why does it work when it's called
from within the LAN (using the computer's actual name in the
URL), but doesn't work when called using the internet (using
the hostname assigned to the firewall/router which routes
to the internal name using a 2nd NIC.

George

Posted by Lee Fellows <lf...@4lane.com>.
On Wed, 2003-04-09 at 14:21, George Gallen wrote:
> where is the range of bytes specified?

  I would suspect from the mmenu1 program accessed by adv1.html and
  passed SEL.x=125&SEL.... parameters.

> The "http://URL/adv1.html?PROGRAM=mmenu1&SEL.x=125&SEL.
>   is the referrer page?

  yes.

> I can't control what is after the ? it's the values from
> within my form.
>
> But I don't understand is why does it work when it's called
> from within the LAN (using the computer's actual name in the
> URL), but doesn't work when called using the internet (using
> the hostname assigned to the firewall/router which routes
> to the internal name using a 2nd NIC.

  Because they are not proceeding through the same path.  Your example
  url http://URL/aardvarkhmmm.jpg resulted in this access log entry:

  " 64.12.96.233 - george [09/Apr/2003:11:48:46 -0400] "GET
/aardvarkhmmm.jpg HTTP/1.1" 206 12772
"http://URL/adv1.html?PROGRAM=mmenu1&SEL.x=125&SEL....." which clearly
shows a different process is being used to answer the query then when
you access the picture via the local host name.  If the request
http://URL/aardvarkhmmm.jpg went straight to the filesystem and
retrieved the image, it would have worked the same from both urls and
you would not have a referer entry for that access.

  I have no idea what mmenu1 is, or its purpose, but it appears
  to be generating the range request.

  HTH