Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Bill Stilwell <wa...@marginalia.org> on 2003/12/02 03:27:17 UTC

application reloads on web.xml change

Hello,

I was unsure if this or -dev was the best place to send this, so I
decided to go with user first.

I recently spent some time tracking down why we would get application
restarts when code changes were pushed to our production environment,
despite having reloadable="false" in the DefaultContext. Via some
digging around in the source, it turns out that if you have
liveDeploy="true" and web.xml is modified, the application will be
stopped and started.

Personally, I find this behavior unexpected (and, as far as I can tell,
it's not in the user documentation). I can achieve what I expect with
liveDeploy="false" and reloadable="false", but I think it would be much
clearer for users if only the reloadable setting was required to achieve
no reloading unless done explicitly via the manager or at restarts.

The relevant code is here:
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta-tomcat-4.0/catalina/src/share/org/apache/catalina/startup/HostConfig.java

And the method checkWebXmlLastModified() is what controls this behavior.
The original version of this code respected the reloadable setting.

Is this worth filing a bug w/patch to request a code change? Or am I
better off submitting a documentation change - i.e., are my expectations
here out to lunch? :-)

Thanks
Bill

Re: application reloads on web.xml change

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.
Please submit a documentation change.

Historically, only reloadable was being done. This caused a lot of questions
as to why changes in web.xml were not being picked up. As some refactorings
came, it became easier to perform a stop, then start on the webapp instead of
classloader reload.

-Tim