Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Cybernd <cy...@cybernd.at> on 2004/09/10 12:47:48 UTC

Imap / Maildir Status

Hi

Im just little bit neugierig curiously. Does someone of you know, when
imap (and/or) maildir support will be available?

I know, that imap will be available with JamesV3, but what is the
expected release date of V3? In 2 Month? 6 Month? 1 Year?

thx
Neuhauser Bernhard

Re: Imap / Maildir Status

Posted by Joe Cheng <co...@joecheng.com>.
>We're also try to aggressively add more Committers.

Niklas and I are ready when you are! ;)

RE: Imap / Maildir Status

Posted by Jason Webb <jw...@inovem.com>.
My big stumbling block is the MailRepositories
I've been dithering on this for a while but basically I think each
repository implementation must define the following methods:
delete() and rename(). This is easy(ish) for the JDBC backed ones and the
MBOX implementation. As far as the Avalon based repositories go that could
require a lot more effort and I'm a little unsure about making the required
changes. I don't know about the MailDir implementation.

-- Jason

RE: Imap / Maildir Status

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Re: Imap / Maildir Status

Posted by Serge Sozonoff <se...@sozonoff.com>.
Hi Jason,

Jason Webb wrote:
> I'm actively working on the IMAP code at the moment.
> I think I've got most the building blocks in place, but who knows :)

Have you actually got any of your work in CVS? I would love to have a look at
what you have so far.

Thanks,
Serge

Validating on a whitelist, and using group mails

Posted by Michael Motet <mi...@motet.dk>.
Hi,
I am working on a project, where we intend to use James mailserver.
There is a number of features we like to have, though I do not know yet
how many are already available in the James Project.

As soon as we are passed the design phase I will be looking at the code,
though meanwhile it could be nice to know if anyone has been working on
similar features.

following are some of the features we hope to implement:

Currently we have a test version running. The mailbox and user
definitions are all in an MS SQL database.

1. We want to make a group list, where users will be registred. It
should then be possible to email to the group, and the server should
distribute the mails to each user in the group.

2. It should be possible for users to have more than one forward email
address, so if forward is enabled the mail is send to all the registered
forward addresses.

3. A whitelist should be availble in the database. The server should
then validate in that whitelist on all mail received or sent. Depending
on the definition.

4. There should be a web frontend to the Admin interface, from where
users and groups can be managed.

5. It should be possible to encrypt emails using a pkcs12 certificate

6. Login should be done by usng a certificate (pkcs12)

7. mail attachments should be extracted from mails and stored in a
seperate database table. (adding some kind of URL - link to the mail,
from where the file can be retrieved).

Indestructible repositories

Posted by Jason Webb <jw...@inovem.com>.
I'm posting this here rather than the Avalon list because I can't work out
if my problem is a James issue due to usage or an Avalon issue due to
implementation...

It seems that it is not possible to delete or rename repositories. These two
features are critical for the IMAP work as both are required features of any
IMAP host.

Therefore who should be responsible for deleting/renaming repositories?
My current opinion is that this should be done at the MailRepository
interface level and thus the repository implementers issue. For the file:
implementation this would then involve file system calls to manipulate the
directories. However, this requires knowledge of the internal workings of
the store and therefore tightly couples the repository to the Store. This is
bad OO practice and doesn't feel right. For db: I think it's quite easy as
we have full control so there is less pain.

Any comments?

-- Jason

RE: Imap / Maildir Status

Posted by Jason Webb <jw...@inovem.com>.
Thanks Joe.
At the moment I'd like FETCH and SELECT to work without something horrible
happening :)
However I will complete the implementation so adding an existing SEARCH
implementation would be great

-- Jason

Re: Imap / Maildir Status

Posted by Joe Cheng <co...@joecheng.com>.

RE: Imap / Maildir Status

Posted by Jason Webb <jw...@inovem.com>.
I'm actively working on the IMAP code at the moment.
I think I've got most the building blocks in place, but who knows :)
Current status is that the IMAP server is now using the James user store (it
wasn't before) and users can (sometimes) create mailboxes, but not delete or
rename them. The next (and hardest bit) is to map the James repositories
onto IMAP properly as at the moment the IMAP attribution isn't working. They
(the repositories) currently lack a number of the features that IMAP
requires. My goal is to get a crude but functional prototype out as soon as
possible, but I can't really put a timeframe on it. A lot of the design
decisions I've had to make suck big time, but I'll sort it out eventually.
There are some fairly interesting changes to make to the James core and
mailet API but they shouldn't break other parts.

As far as Maildir goes, I'm not working on that. I may do later, but the
core repository types that I need to do are file: and db:

So, I'm making progress, but don't get your hopes up :)

-- Jason