Posted to dev@spamassassin.apache.org by "Warren Togami Jr." <wt...@gmail.com> on 2011/10/13 21:46:45 UTC

Cut a 3.4.0 pre-release to encourage testing?

Hey folks,

I assume people are just too busy to cut a 3.4.0 pre-release and ask the
public for testing?

If this is the case, then I will do it probably this weekend.  I'd like to
call it rc1 to encourage public testing, but if folks here object then I'll
call it beta1 or test1.

Warren

Re: Cut a 3.4.0 pre-release to encourage testing?

Posted by da...@chaosreigns.com.
On 10/14, Axb wrote:
> On 2011-10-14 10:17, Warren Togami Jr. wrote:
> >IIRC, our earlier pre-releases for 3.3.0 were prior to the rescoring.
> >Cutting a pre-release now would at least encourage testing of the engine.
>
> Warren, pls be patient.

A 3.4.0 RC was scheduled two full weeks ago.  In that entire two weeks, not
a single post on the subject of this RC was made to this list, other than
by myself, and this thread by Warren, despite my several requests for
somebody to at least acknowledge they were going to be Release Manager, and
asking what needed to go into the release.

Patience is not what this project is lacking.

--
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands,
hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."

Re: Cut a 3.4.0 pre-release to encourage testing?

Posted by Axb <ax...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Warren Togami Jr." <wt...@gmail.com>.

Re: 3.4.0 Status

Posted by Mark Martinec <Ma...@ijs.si>.
> It's been a week.  But you've been making excellent progress on closing
> bugs.  If you want to keep that up and put off switching to RTC I wouldn't
> object.  Hell, I'd bring you a sandwich if you lived within a few hours of
> here.

I have the first part of the sa-update change mostly ready, will
commit for review possibly tonight or tomorrow. Giving up on
the LWP module (but keeping it as a fallback), but using
external programs curl or wget of fetch preferentially, as they
all know how to deal with IPv4/IPv6 and A/AAAA/CNAME properly,
unlike the libwww-perl which seems to be ignoring IPv6 support
requests persistently.

What remains is to deal with avoiding repeated downloads if
later stages of rules installation fails. Not sure how to go
about it (and where to keep downloaded files).

  Mark

Re: 3.4.0 Status

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <KM...@PCCC.com>.
On 11/5/2011 12:52 AM, darxus@chaosreigns.com wrote:
> On 10/28, Kevin A. McGrail wrote:
>> - Trunk switches to R-T-C in 1 week in preparation for the release
> It's been a week.  But you've been making excellent progress on closing
> bugs.  If you want to keep that up and put off switching to RTC I wouldn't
> object.  Hell, I'd bring you a sandwich if you lived within a few hours of
> here.
I think we are closer. I've been spending a lot of time on bugs to close
them more than reviewing them. I haven't completed a review of open
issues to finish a list of goals/blockers for 3.4.0.

I'll try and rocket through things a bit more.

Regards,
KAM

Re: 3.4.0 Status

Posted by da...@chaosreigns.com.
On 10/28, Kevin A. McGrail wrote:
> - Trunk switches to R-T-C in 1 week in preparation for the release

It's been a week.  But you've been making excellent progress on closing
bugs.  If you want to keep that up and put off switching to RTC I wouldn't
object.  Hell, I'd bring you a sandwich if you lived within a few hours of
here.

--
"Of course there's strength in numbers. But there's strength in sharp
weaponry too. Ironically, this lead to what we call 'civilization'."

Re: 3.4.0 Status

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <KM...@PCCC.com>.
>> - Oct 5th we build the first RC1
>
> I'm guessing you mean November 5th, given this is October 28th.
That's the hopes, yes. Sorry.  Trying to read too many things.

--
*Kevin A. McGrail*
President

Peregrine Computer Consulting Corporation
3927 Old Lee Highway, Suite 102-C
Fairfax, VA 22030-2422

http://www.pccc.com/

703-359-9700 x50 / 800-823-8402 (Toll-Free)
703-359-8451 (fax)
KMcGrail@PCCC.com <ma...@pccc.com>

Re: 3.4.0 Status

Posted by Quanah Gibson-Mount <qu...@zimbra.com>.

--On October 28, 2011 11:54:46 AM -0400 "Kevin A. McGrail"
<KM...@PCCC.com> wrote:

> - Oct 5th we build the first RC1

I'm guessing you mean November 5th, given this is October 28th.

--Quanah

--
Quanah Gibson-Mount
Principal Software Engineer

Re: 3.4.0 Status

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <KM...@PCCC.com>.
On 10/28/2011 2:39 PM, Mark Martinec wrote:
>>> - Trunk switches to R-T-C in 1 week in preparation for the release
>> I think there has been ample warning.  Since this has been deemed a
>> necessary step, how about doing it now?  Or tomorrow?
> Please wait for a few days more. At least I'd like to finish the
> sa-update/IPv6 thing and avoiding one problem with suppressing
> duplicate queries in AskDNS. Also have two other minor details
> on my mind.
Confirmed. We are officially holding off switching trunk to R-T-C to try
and blast through some of these tickets.
> Any thoughts on Bug 6663 ?
IMO, Without a lot of testing, this should be targeted for 3.4.1.  It
also has very little benefit for marking ham/spam and appears to be more
of a server efficiency ticket to me.

> Perhaps Kevin can take a look at 6617 and 6651 .
I flagged them both on my spreadsheet.  6651 is already on my list to
do.  6617, I'll look at and it's a privacy issue so I will likely tag it
as a blocker.

regards,
KAM

Re: 3.4.0 Status

Posted by Mark Martinec <Ma...@ijs.si>.

Re: 3.4.0 Status

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <KM...@PCCC.com>.
On 10/28/2011 1:06 PM, darxus@chaosreigns.com wrote:
> On 10/28, Kevin A. McGrail wrote:
>> - Trunk switches to R-T-C in 1 week in preparation for the release
> I think there has been ample warning.  Since this has been deemed a
> necessary step, how about doing it now?  Or tomorrow?
It was requested by PMC to delay until we have most of the pending
important fixes in the trunk.    The week was a compromise.
>> - Go through the all open bugs and identify the goals to finalize for 3.4.0 release - NOTE: I'm doing now if others want to help
> How will you indicate which bugs need to be fixed for 3.4.0?
By marking them targeted for 3.4.0 and I'll email the CVS I'm keeping as
I review the bugs for anyone who is bored.

> It's good to see you closing bugs.
Thanks.  I get some kind of primordial joy from bringing order to them.

Regards,
KAM

Re: 3.4.0 Status

Posted by da...@chaosreigns.com.
On 10/28, Kevin A. McGrail wrote:
> - Trunk switches to R-T-C in 1 week in preparation for the release

I think there has been ample warning.  Since this has been deemed a
necessary step, how about doing it now?  Or tomorrow?

> - Go through the all open bugs and identify the goals to finalize for 3.4.0 release - NOTE: I'm doing now if others want to help

How will you indicate which bugs need to be fixed for 3.4.0?

It's good to see you closing bugs.

--
"Let's just say that if complete and utter chaos was lightning, then
he'd be the sort to stand on a hilltop in a thunderstorm wearing wet

3.4.0 Status

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <KM...@PCCC.com>.
> Is there anything other than this that needs to happen before a pre-release
> / RC is released?

I've taken a look through all the notes about the release and believe
this is where we are at:

- 3.4.0 will be the next release
- 3.3.x development is ceased barring a major bug and we won't backport changes currently in trunk to 3.3
- Trunk switches to R-T-C in 1 week in preparation for the release
- Add DNS entries and make sure rule updates are ready for 3.4.x branch
- Oct 5th we build the first RC1
- Create a 3.4 branch in SVN based on trunk after the official 3.4.0 release
- Add a jenkins/hudson build for the 3.4.x branch
- Go through the all open bugs and identify the goals to finalize for 3.4.0 release - NOTE: I'm doing now if others want to help
- Move all open bugs tagged for 3.3.x to 3.4.0 or 3.4.1 later based on goals - NOTE: I'm doing now if others want to help
- Anything to remove from 3.4.0?  I know we have a bug or two with rules that are disabled/removed to resolve. Will find that during my review above.

So hopefully in the next day or two we can identify what notes we want to close to release 3.4.0.

Regards,
KAM

On 10/13, Kevin A. McGrail wrote:
> I don't think we're quite there yet.  We don't have rules generation
> working and so far I am at a loss to why.

Is there anything other than this that needs to happen before a pre-release
/ RC is released?

--
"Everything is sacred to us...so if you are sacred then you must treat
yourself with respect, to do otherwise is to desecrate something that

Re: Cut a 3.4.0 pre-release to encourage testing?

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <KM...@PCCC.com>.