Posted to user@struts.apache.org by David Graham <dg...@hotmail.com> on 2002/10/11 17:22:31 UTC

Re: [OT] : javascript revival?

99% of the javascript I use has to do with validating form fields.  You
don't need to know every detail of it to use it well.

If you want to spend most of your time coding front end gui stuff then you
should know all that good dhtml stuff.  In my experience this will consume
your entire day because of the browser incompatibilities.  That's why I've
chosen to not use dhtml in my pages and if I want some cool gui effect I
just buy it from people who do this for a living.

Dave

Re: [OT] : javascript revival?

Posted by Michael Delamere <ho...@michael-delamere.de>.
exactly!

Perhaps, some javascript guru can tell me how to set the cursor back to the
end of the text in an input field.  Basically, I´m checking the entered
value whenever someone types a letter into the input field, change it
slightly and then assign the new string back to the input field.  Now this
works with mozilla and explorer like a dream, but netscape 4.7x always puts
the cursor to the beginning!!??

Come on you javascript gurus!  Who has the solution? :-D

Regards,

Michael

Re: [OT] : javascript revival?

Posted by Eddie Bush <ek...@swbell.net>.
Gemes Tibor wrote:

>2002. október 14. 16:31 dátummal Eddie Bush ezt írtad:
>
>>Which browsers do you build against?  ... and what functional areas do
>>you find you still have to test in other browsers?  I haven't even
>>
>I meant IE. Actually unlike most webdevelopers I know I do not use IE during
>the devel period.

I typically make it work in Mozilla and go from there :-)  I should
probably use something else during dvel though, as Mozilla and I agree a
lot better on how things should work than do NS/IE/Etc.  I've not seen
Mozilla fail to render a page that rendered well in the others, but I
*have* seen the others fail to render a page that rendered well in Mozilla.

>>considered it something worthy of my time to use - but, if you are
>>correct, I am very mistaken.
>>
>Nope, you're right.
>I am forced to use some nasty dhtml scripting which I would avoid if I could.
>
>On every release time I have reboot, test with IE, just run through NS and
>opera, but I dislike the last 2 as a matter of fact.

Well I have no good reason for not testing more on IE - I've got a
Linux/Windows workstation configured on a KVM switch - just double-tap
the Ctl key and I'm looking at Windoze.  That machine doesn't get
started up much though ;-)

>>Thanks for the tip :-)  I'll give it another try.  It's conceivable the
>>sites I hit with it just weren't "up-to-par".
>>
>Actually the milosic.com menu does not work w/ konqueror, the
>www.mattkruse.com dhtml calendar popup does not work w/ konqueror etc etc

Ah ok - that's probably what my problems came from.

>But it was far worse before the version 3.0

I don't think I tried it before :-)

>Tib

Ok - well, thanks for the info :-)  I'll keep an eye on it as a possible
second test under Linux.  Maybe I'll eventually get to where I don't
have to fire up Windoze at all!  ;-)  A lot of things come down to
structural layout though - so I'll see how handy I find it for that.

--
Eddie Bush

Re: [OT] : javascript revival?

Posted by Gemes Tibor <ge...@regens.hu>.

Re: [OT] : javascript revival?

Posted by Eddie Bush <ek...@swbell.net>.
Gemes Tibor wrote:

> Sorry to say - it's 3.0.0-12 I'm running :-/ and it seems deficient to
>
>>me.  I can do all things, unhindered in Mozilla, whereas there were some
>>sites which flat did not work under Konqueror.  I can't remember now
>>which specific funcational areas I found lacking.  I'll have to look
>>again when I get a chance so I can be more conversant about it.
>>

>I use both mozilla and konqueror for development, and if a page works on these
>two, I have to test almost none on the other browsers.
>
>There are few sites that do not work with konqueror. But it renders a far
>better looking page if it is able to display it. This is the most important
>reason why I use it.

Huh - whataya know.  Ok - well, I'll play with it then.  You've peaked
my curiosity.  I'll toy with it.

--
Eddie Bush

Re: [OT] : javascript revival?

Posted by Gemes Tibor <ge...@regens.hu>.

Re: [OT] : javascript revival?

Posted by Eddie Bush <ek...@swbell.net>.
Gemes Tibor wrote:

>>Konqueror ... doesn't.  I'm sorry - I run KDE, but there's a *reason* I
>>
>Since version 3.0 it's OK imho.

Sorry to say - it's 3.0.0-12 I'm running :-/ and it seems deficient to
me.  I can do all things, unhindered in Mozilla, whereas there were some
sites which flat did not work under Konqueror.  I can't remember now
which specific funcational areas I found lacking.  I'll have to look
again when I get a chance so I can be more conversant about it.

Sorry :-) but I respectfully disagree.

--
Eddie Bush

Re: [OT] : javascript revival?

Posted by Gemes Tibor <ge...@regens.hu>.

Re: [OT] : javascript revival?

Posted by Eddie Bush <ek...@swbell.net>.
Konqueror ... doesn't.  I'm sorry - I run KDE, but there's a *reason* I
don't use Konqueror - it sucks.  Maybe it will one day be better, but
this is not that day :-)  Anyone using that over Mozilla deserves what
they get IMHO (they have the option - it's not like it's the only thing
available to them).

--
Eddie Bush

RE: [OT] : javascript revival?