Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Daniel Le Berre <le...@cril.univ-artois.fr> on 2009/01/07 13:03:50 UTC

Information about version ranges management from Eclipse p2

Dear all,

There was a discussion about version ranges management a few weeks ago
on the ML.

I think that the following document from Eclipse p2 could be of interest:
http://wiki.eclipse.org/Equinox/p2/Proposals/Version_Type_Proposal

	Daniel
--
             Daniel Le Berre mailto:leberre@cril.univ-artois.fr
             MCF,    CRIL-CNRS UMR 8188,    Universite d'Artois

Re: Information about version ranges management from Eclipse p2

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@sonatype.com>.
On 7-Jan-09, at 11:32 AM, Daniel Le Berre wrote:

> Jason van Zyl a écrit :

>>> I think so. I do not know the details.

>>> We are working with Genuitec on explanation support for p2.
>>
>> You mean on the p2 dev list?
>
> Nope.
>
> We have a research contract with them:
> http://lenettoyeur-on-eclipse.blogspot.com/2008/12/genuitec-sat4j-and-p2.html

That's cool. Definitely interested in the outcome of that and I know
Sonatype would be willing to help support that effort as well.

>>> This requires the use of SAT4J API directly, not through text
>>> files as
>>> currently.
>>>

>> That's fine, we're using the APIs directly too. I'm just saying in
>> the
>> future if there was a descriptor and TCK folks could implement their
>> down solutions.
>>
>>> So we are also working on making life easier for the end users by
>>> hiding
>>> all current gory details on SAT and let it work with domain object.
>>> We are still usure of the best way to express the optimization
>>> scheme:
>>> hiding the weights used to the end user by just allowing simple
>>> preferences among domain object or giving more flexibility to the
>>> end
>>> user by letting him do whatever he wants.
>>
>> I don't think we'll be able to avoid the API in the short term, and
>> something simple yet possibly incomplete should be made so we can
>> explore.
>
> I agree.

>>> p2 SAT4J solution is a tailored solution, and a new specific one is
>>> currently needed for the OmniVersion resolver.
>>>
>>> By linux mailing list I guess you mean the Mancoosi project
>>> mailing list?
>>
>> Oleg just mentioned a linux mailing list so I suppose this is the
>> one :-)
>>

> Well, I am following that work, but p2 one is specific to p2.
>
> --
>             Daniel Le Berre mailto:leberre@cril.univ-artois.fr
>             MCF,    CRIL-CNRS UMR 8188,    Universite d'Artois
>             http://www.cril.univ-artois.fr/~leberre

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
jason at sonatype dot com

Re: Information about version ranges management from Eclipse p2

Posted by Daniel Le Berre <le...@cril.univ-artois.fr>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@sonatype.com>.
> [...]

>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> There was a discussion about version ranges management a few weeks
>>> ago
>>> on the ML.
>>>
>>> I think that the following document from Eclipse p2 could be of
>>> interest:
>>> http://wiki.eclipse.org/Equinox/p2/Proposals/Version_Type_Proposal
>>>
>>>    Daniel
>>> --
>>>            Daniel Le Berre mailto:leberre@cril.univ-artois.fr
>>>            MCF,    CRIL-CNRS UMR 8188,    Universite d'Artois
>>>            http://www.cril.univ-artois.fr/~leberre

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jason

>> Jason van Zyl
>> Founder,  Apache Maven
>> jason at sonatype dot com

>             Daniel Le Berre mailto:leberre@cril.univ-artois.fr
>             MCF,    CRIL-CNRS UMR 8188,    Universite d'Artois

What matters is not ideas, but the people who have them. Good people
can fix bad ideas, but good ideas can't save bad people.

  -- Paul Graham

Re: Information about version ranges management from Eclipse p2

Posted by Daniel Le Berre <le...@cril.univ-artois.fr>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <jv...@sonatype.com>.