Posted to dev@logging.apache.org by "James E. King, III" <jk...@apache.org> on 2018/01/11 15:25:14 UTC

[log4cxx] State of this project?

Hello,

I have used log4cxx for a number of years and the last official release was
7 years ago.  There was an effort to make a 0.11.x release in October but I
don't see the result of that, plus it looks like all Windows based build
projects and tools have been removed from the trunk.  There are a number of
web sites / projects out there to help people build log4cxx, apr, and
apr-util on Windows.  It seems to be a second-class citizen.

I spent yesterday making a cmake build environment for log4cxx that builds
against the libapr-2 trunk on Windows.  Since apr provides its own cmake
environment, this simply picks up the installed artifacts and builds
log4cxx on Windows.  In the process I have found that although static
linking seems to build okay, shared libraries are missing some
LOG4CXX_EXPORT commands.

I was able to build on linux against the apr-2 trunk as well by telling it
that "--with-apr" and "--with-apr-util" come from the same location, since
apr-util merged into apr.

I see no quality controls on pull requests, leveraging the free travis and
appveyor CI environments to ensure pull requests are of high quality.  So
my question is this - what is the state of this project?  Is it dead?  Are
there people actively using it and working on it?

Thanks,

Jim

Re: [log4cxx] State of this project?

Posted by Thorsten Schöning <ts...@am-soft.de>.
Guten Tag James E. King, III,
am Donnerstag, 11. Januar 2018 um 16:25 schrieben Sie:

> I have used log4cxx for a number of years and the last official release was
> 7 years ago.  There was an effort to make a 0.11.x release in October but I
> don't see the result of that,

There is none currently.

> plus it looks like all Windows based build
> projects and tools have been removed from the trunk.

I'm somewhat sure they have never been in trunk, but only in the
release package and have been generated during the release process. If
you look at the following packages, some generated projects are still
available:

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/logging/log4cxx/

But keep in mind that those project files are generated using some 3rd
party library called cpptasks, which is unmaintained, using some ANT
build, which has been discussed to get entirely removed etc.

http://ant-contrib.sourceforge.net/cpptasks/index.html

> There are a number of
> web sites / projects out there to help people build log4cxx, apr, and
> apr-util on Windows.  It seems to be a second-class citizen.

Not for everyone... :-) I've even created my own project files for
C++Builder, which a lot of people don't care about out there.

> I spent yesterday making a cmake build environment for log4cxx that builds
> against the libapr-2 trunk on Windows.

For the docs:

https://github.com/apache/logging-log4cxx/pull/3

> In the process I have found that although static
> linking seems to build okay, shared libraries are missing some
> LOG4CXX_EXPORT commands.

You might want to file bugs for the problems, if you still have logs
or something:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/LOGCXX

> So
> my question is this - what is the state of this project?  Is it dead?  Are
> there people actively using it and working on it?

I'm using, but not actively working on it. Once a while I try to make
a release, that's where the archives in dist-dev come from, but in the
end, there are always more important things I need to work on. So the
only thing left for me is anwering bugs or writing mails like these.

Feel free to join the project:

https://community.apache.org/contributors/

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Thorsten Schöning

Telefon...........05151-  9468- 55
Fax...............05151-  9468- 88
Mobil..............0178-8 9468- 04

Re: [log4cxx] State of this project?

Posted by Pedro Lamarão <pe...@prodist.com.br>.
Em 11/01/2018 13:25, James E. King, III escreveu:

> I was able to build on linux against the apr-2 trunk as well by telling it
> that "--with-apr" and "--with-apr-util" come from the same location, since
> apr-util merged into apr.

I am able to build with latest Gradle and Visual Studio 2017.
I have a multiproject setup, with separate "projects" for apr, apr-util,
apr-iconv and log4cxx.

Regards,
Pedro.

--
ENC: Ajuste no logo da Jubarte

*Pedro Lamarão*

*Prodist Technologies***

http://www.prodist.com.br <http://www.prodist.com.br/>

*/"Securing Critical Systems"/*

*(11) 3672-3526*

*(21) 2292-9481
*

cid:image005.jpg@01D2AFC0.49538E40

<http://www.jubartetecnologia.com.br/>

Re: [log4cxx] State of this project?

Posted by Robert Middleton <os...@gmail.com>.
Not sure if it helps you at all, but I do have a branch that will
build with libapr(not apr2) that uses CMake if you want to try it out:
https://github.com/rm5248/logging-log4cxx/tree/cmake-updates

-Robert Middleton

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
Hi James,

It seems this project needs some fresh energy. I am active on the Log4j 2
side, but not on this one. Can anyone else provide guidance?

Gary