Posted to dev@mxnet.apache.org by Anirudh <an...@gmail.com> on 2018/07/03 00:37:38 UTC

Regarding 1.2.1 Release

Hi all,

After an offline discussion, the current decision is to block the 1.2.1
release, improve the warning message for save_params usage here:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-mxnet/pull/11532 ,
cut a new RC and then restart the voting process.

Anirudh

Re: Regarding 1.2.1 Release

Posted by Anirudh <an...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sergio and MXNet community,

I wanted to summarize the reasons for requesting a new RC of 1.2.1:

The warning message “save_params is deprecated , please use save_parameters
instead” was confusing because the new API ‘save_parameters’ which
deprecated ‘save_params’ could be used in 2 contexts and one of them would
break when used.

1. the new API save_parameters was intended only for imperative gluon
blocks.

2. When save_parameters is used with SymbolBlocks it would break the user
code that loads the model and parameters later.

This was raised on the dev@ list:

https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/8c6fa3ef5a7fa5a90b46293f22da955df3455e80046895dc67dbc8c6@%3Cdev.mxnet.apache.org%3E
and discussed offline about the impact and realized this will lead to bad
user experience and frustration.

This PR fixes the warning message:

What could have been done better?

Voting and initial discussions on the issues in 1.2.1 rc0, happened on dev@
list. However, further discussion and decision for a new RC of the release
happened in person with the committers who raised concerns. We should have
either continued the discussion on dev@ or summarized the discussion and
sought more opinions from the community on dev@.

I ask mentors and community members to suggest any areas of improvement we
can incorporate in such situations to minimize the time spent by community.

Thanks,

Anirudh

Re: Regarding 1.2.1 Release

Posted by Sergio Fernández <wi...@apache.org>.