Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Glenn Nielsen <gl...@voyager.apg.more.net> on 2001/02/16 22:10:55 UTC

Tomcat 4 JNDI Resource config

I have been looking through the source for configuring JNDI Resources
and ResourceParams.  For now, it looks like these can only be configured
in the Context scope.

Is there any reason why this couldn't be changed so that a JNDI DataSource
could be configured at the  Engine or Host scope?  This would come in handy
when you want to configure a JDBC DataSource or JavaMail DataSource that is
common to either the entire Engine or an entire Host.

Then the resources available to a web app context would be all those configured
for the Engine, Host, and the individual Context.

Regards,

Glenn

Re: Tomcat 4 JNDI Resource config

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@betaversion.org>.
Quoting Glenn Nielsen <gl...@voyager.apg.more.net>:

> I have been looking through the source for configuring JNDI Resources
> and ResourceParams.  For now, it looks like these can only be
> configured
> in the Context scope.
>
> Is there any reason why this couldn't be changed so that a JNDI
> DataSource
> could be configured at the  Engine or Host scope?  This would come in
> handy
> when you want to configure a JDBC DataSource or JavaMail DataSource that
> is
> common to either the entire Engine or an entire Host.
>
> Then the resources available to a web app context would be all those
> configured
> for the Engine, Host, and the individual Context.

Maybe that would be nice, but it's not a good idea to do it in 4.0, as it will
require a number of changes in the config file format, along as significant
modifications to the Host, Engine and Context. I suggest we consider that
feature for TC 4.1 instead.

Remy