Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Andrew Franklin <ar...@gmail.com> on 2008/02/27 13:50:14 UTC

commons-vfs current status?

Just a quick question as to the current state of commons-vfs.

I've been using the project for the last 6 months or so and haven't seen
very many commits or activity on JIRA. Is there intention for on going
support?

Andrew

Re: commons-vfs current status?

Posted by "marius.cimpean" <ma...@numerica.de>.
Hi Mario,

I come back on this thread, since the last post was already a while ago...

I'm very interested in using the next commons-vfs release ... since I've
seen a list of few very important bugs.

I would kindly ask you to let me know when the next release will become
available.

Best Regards,
Marius

Posted by Jörg Schaible <Jo...@Elsag-Solutions.com>.
Mario Ivankovits wrote:
> Hi!
>> I've been using the project for the last 6 months or so and haven't
>> seen very many commits or activity on JIRA. Is there intention for
>> on going support?
>>
> As long as no code work needs to be done I think support is
> still there.
>
> Unhappily VFS lacks of developers and my time is limited too. Still, I
> don't want to say VFS is dead. I still have hope that we
> manage to spend
> more time again or finally other developers jump up too.

IMHO major problem is the necessary environment. You may have one or two of the supported external virtual file systems, but as soon as you start to modify core classes, you have no clue about the effects for the other systems ... :-/

- Jörg

Re: commons-vfs current status?

Posted by Mark Fortner <ph...@gmail.com>.
yanfs uses a BSD license.  I think that's compatible.  You can see the
project here: http://yanfs.dev.java.net

Mark

On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 9:44 AM, Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen <
thunderaxiom@gmail.com> wrote:

> Mark Fortner skrev  den 29-02-2008 17:18:
> > I have an NFS implementation (using Sun's YANFS implementation) that I'm
> in
> > the process of testing.  I also have GUI components (a file chooser, and
> > basic file browser) in addition to a metadata API for reading image and
> MS
> > Office metadata.  I'd be glad to donate any or all of these if there's
> any
> > interest.
> >

> I think this would be great to have!
>
> Is the YANFS licensing terms compatible with Apache?
> --
>   Thorbjørn

Mark Fortner

blog: http://www.jroller.com/phidias

Re: commons-vfs current status?

Posted by Thorbjørn Ravn Andersen <th...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Fortner <ph...@gmail.com>.
I have an NFS implementation (using Sun's YANFS implementation) that I'm in
the process of testing.  I also have GUI components (a file chooser, and a
basic file browser) in addition to a metadata API for reading image and MS
Office metadata.  I'd be glad to donate any or all of these if there's any
interest.

Regards,

Mark

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.