Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by User for SpamAssassin Mail List <sp...@pcez.com> on 2005/12/09 00:56:14 UTC

Question about --max-children

Hello,

When starting the program, I'm wondering about how many children I can
start and what the problems might be with too many. My start up file
states:

# NOTE: version 3.0.x has switched to a "preforking" model, so you
# need to make sure --max-children is not set to anything higher than
# 5, unless you know what you're doing.

At this time my Options are:

OPTIONS="--create-prefs --max-children 9 --helper-home-dir
--max-conn-per-child 100"

Our server is busy enough where even 9 --max-children may not be enough.

Any suggestions?  We are running a Server with a AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2100+
processor and a SCSI Raid array and 3 gigs of memory.

Thanks,

Ken Rea

Re: Question about --max-children

Posted by Charles Sprickman <sp...@bway.net>.
On Thu, 8 Dec 2005, User for SpamAssassin Mail List wrote:

> Any suggestions?  We are running a Server with a AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2100+
> processor and a SCSI Raid array and 3 gigs of memory.

Memory and cpu are your main concerns.  I pack a little less than 30 spamd
processes on an Athlon 2400+ (2GHz) with 1 GB of RAM.  I run three of
these boxes, they are el-cheapos that currently run a little under $400.
They also run clamav, but that seems much less resource intensive.  Other
than those two functions, that's all these boxes do.

Hope that helps,

Charles