Posted to mapreduce-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Akira Ajisaka <aa...@apache.org> on 2020/12/15 03:48:29 UTC

[DISCUSS] Upgrading Jersey from 1.x

Hi folks,

Recently I resumed the work for upgrading Jersey:
- https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-15984
- https://github.com/apache/hadoop/pull/763

This upgrade is important because we cannot compile and run Jersey 1.x
with Java 11+. However, it is very complicated because:

1. We need to do this upgrade in all the modules at once. If there are
Jersey 1.x and 2.x in the classpath, the application fails. This is
because we cannot upgrade Jersey module by module.
2. Jersey is used in many modules (HDFS, YARN, MapReduce)
3. There is no useful documentation for this upgrade. There is an
official migration guide, but it is poor.

I almost finished the work in Common and HDFS, but I'm facing some
errors in YARN unit tests (ex. TestNMWebServices). Jersey, Grizzly,
and Guice are used in the tests, and Guice is used for DI(Dependency
Injection). Jersey 2.x has its own DI module (HK2), so now there are
two DI modules. Although there is a bridge (HK2-bridge) module to use
both HK2 and Guice simultaneously, I cannot correctly set up the
environment in the unit tests.

Suppose you are good at Jersey 2.x + Guice, please help me. If there
is no help, I consider removing Guice and use the only HK2 for DI.

Thanks and regards,
Akira