Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Hernan Silberman <hs...@pdi.com> on 2005/10/31 20:43:10 UTC

[commons general] Graph ADT Library?

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a good set of Java classes for
representing Graph abstract data types.  Specifically, I'm dealing with a
homegrown representation of a directed acyclic digraph (DAG) and find it very
lacking.  I've read a little about jakarta commons graph and graph2 and assume
they're no longer active projects (and they're not in the sandbox).

After Googling around, I've found the following projects:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/gvf/
* Looks great, seems mature.  I don't need to solve the graph visualization
problem which this toolkit seems to do well, and it feels like a sledgehammer
for my basic needs.
* GPL license, open source.

https://jdigraph.dev.java.net/
* Looks like a great start, in alpha release.  Zero email on the lists though
which worries me.
* BSD license, open source.
* Source uses Java 1.5 generics, I'm not there yet.

Graph data structures are such a common problem solving tool in engineering
that I'm sure I've missed other good projects.  I'm hoping to cut down my search
time by asking for your experiences with other toolkits I may be ignorant about.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

thanks...
Hernan

--
Hernan Silberman
PDI/Dreamworks

Re: [commons general] Graph ADT Library?

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
On 10/31/05, robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-10-31 at 11:43 -0800, Hernan Silberman wrote:
> > I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a good set of Java classes for
> > representing Graph abstract data types.  Specifically, I'm dealing with a
> > homegrown representation of a directed acyclic digraph (DAG) and find it very
> > lacking.  I've read a little about jakarta commons graph and graph2 and assume
> > they're no longer active projects (and they're not in the sandbox).
>
> neither of the sandbox components really got any community momentum (too
> few developers interested in taking the code forward to be viable here).
> the code is still in subversion
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jakarta/commons/dormant/.
>
> it's probably worth checking just to see if it does what you want.
>
> ASL2.0 is a pretty liberal library license so there isn't really any
> reason why you couldn't pick up the code and kick start development
> elsewhere (if it turns out to be useful to you).

We talked a while back about bringing graph2 into [math] and if there
is community interest in that idea, I would be willing to help with
that, as long as we keep it simple, sticking with just the ADT and
algorithms, staying away from the visualization / GUI stuff.

I would also be willing to help "revive" [graph2] if there is
sufficient interest in that independently.

Phil

Re: [commons general] Graph ADT Library?

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On Mon, 2005-10-31 at 11:43 -0800, Hernan Silberman wrote:
> I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a good set of Java classes for
> representing Graph abstract data types.  Specifically, I'm dealing with a
> homegrown representation of a directed acyclic digraph (DAG) and find it very
> lacking.  I've read a little about jakarta commons graph and graph2 and assume
> they're no longer active projects (and they're not in the sandbox).

neither of the sandbox components really got any community momentum (too
few developers interested in taking the code forward to be viable here).
the code is still in subversion
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jakarta/commons/dormant/.

it's probably worth checking just to see if it does what you want.

ASL2.0 is a pretty liberal library license so there isn't really any
reason why you couldn't pick up the code and kick start development
elsewhere (if it turns out to be useful to you).

- robert

RE: [commons general] Graph ADT Library?

Posted by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>.
If you don't mind paying money for a good library, I can recommend yFiles
(http://www.yworks.com/en/products_yfiles_about.htm).  We use it on my
current project and it has been very helpful.  It can be somewhat costly,
especially if you can't get the academic license.