Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Deacon Marcus <de...@wwtech.pl> on 2001/09/05 05:38:56 UTC

Another funny thought this time about PHP

Hi,
Some of my co-workers are pushing for php support. While I'm strongly
opposing the idea (who needs php when jsp is available? imo that's plain
ridicilous), I thought, is it - theoretically - or would it be possible - to
set up Tomcat + Apache in a way where instead of standard model, all files
processed by Apache except those meant for Tomcat, reverse the roles - make
Apache "slave" of Tomcat, and use it only for, for example, php, while using
Tomcat for everything else including static content.

Greetings, deacon Marcus

Re: Another funny thought this time about PHP

Posted by David Rees <dr...@runt.ebetinc.com>.
On Wed, Sep 05, 2001 at 05:38:56AM +0200, Deacon Marcus wrote:
> Hi,
> Some of my co-workers are pushing for php support. While I'm strongly
> opposing the idea (who needs php when jsp is available? imo that's plain
> ridicilous), I thought, is it - theoretically - or would it be possible - to
> set up Tomcat + Apache in a way where instead of standard model, all files
> processed by Apache except those meant for Tomcat, reverse the roles - make
> Apache "slave" of Tomcat, and use it only for, for example, php, while using
> Tomcat for everything else including static content.

You could easily do this by mapping *.php to a servlet, and have the
servlet translate the requests to Apache.

Not sure why you'd want to do this, isn't the performance hit with Apache in
front of Tomcat negligible?

-Dave