Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> on 2012/06/14 16:53:51 UTC

Should we start posting regular dev snapshot builds for 3.4.1 or 3.5?

I've seeing a lot of bug fixes coming in.  This is great!

But none of us are perfect.  Sometimes bug fixes don't work or fixing
one bug causes another problem.    That is why we test.   And it is
best to test a bug fix before too much time has elapsed.

Would it make sense to agree on a date to post an updated dev
snapshot, so we can verify the bug fixes and ensure that no new
instability has been introduced?  Maybe get into the practice of doing
this regularly, e.g., every 1 or 2 weeks or something.

-Rob

Re: Should we start posting regular dev snapshot builds for 3.4.1 or 3.5?

Posted by Li Feng Wang <ph...@gmail.com>.
+1

Need timely build to verify resolved defects.

--
Best Wishes, LiFeng Wang

Re: Should we start posting regular dev snapshot builds for 3.4.1 or 3.5?

Posted by Yong Lin Ma <ma...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>.
On 6/15/12 6:32 PM, Andrew Rist wrote:

> On 6/14/2012 11:05 PM, Jürgen Schmidt wrote:
> <snip>
>> Do you know which compiler we use on the builds bots, do we use the
>> professional version? We should ensure to enable ATL and ActiveX on
>> the build bots as well.
> To date we have used the Express version of the compiler - thus the lack
> of ATL & ActiveX
> I am in the process of upgrading to VS Professional - but currently
> there are some disk space issues.

I have a clean fresh 1TB disk at home (sata, 3,5"), should I donate it ;-)

> This should move forward in the next few days.

perfect

Juergen

Posted by Andrew Rist <an...@oracle.com>.

Posted by Ji Yan <ya...@gmail.com>.
+1
Tester can use the snapshot build to verify fixed bug and do regression
test.
Currently, we have Linux 32/64 and Windows installer for AOO trunk stream
at buildbot http://ci.apache.org/projects/openoffice/
but lack of Mac installer. And also there is no build for branch stream. It
will be great to have snapshot build available for us.

--

Thanks & Best Regards, Yan Ji

Re: Should we start posting regular dev snapshot builds for 3.4.1 or 3.5?

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Andrew Rist <an...@oracle.com>.

Posted by Jürgen Schmidt <jo...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Ariel Constenla-Haile <ar...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 10:53:51AM -0400, Rob Weir wrote:
> I've seeing a lot of bug fixes coming in.  This is great!
>
> But none of us are perfect.  Sometimes bug fixes don't work or fixing
> one bug causes another problem.    That is why we test.   And it is
> best to test a bug fix before too much time has elapsed.
>
> Would it make sense to agree on a date to post an updated dev
> snapshot, so we can verify the bug fixes and ensure that no new
> instability has been introduced?  Maybe get into the practice of doing
> this regularly, e.g., every 1 or 2 weeks or something.

IMO first we should decide if building 3.4.1 alphas/betas or 3.5 Developer
Snapshots; yes, the naming is a mess, we should clear this up, also
clear the page
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+3.4+Unofficial+Developer+Snapshots
IIRC in OOo times, Developer Snapshots where builds from the main code
line, for example http://hg.services.openoffice.org/DEV300/
Betas where from the release code line, for example
http://hg.services.openoffice.org/OOO340/
http://hg.services.openoffice.org/OOO330/
http://hg.services.openoffice.org/OOO320/

I guess we could build both, at different intervals, a 3.5 Dev.Snap. per
month and a 3.4.1 beta every week or two, for example.

Regards
--
Ariel Constenla-Haile
La Plata, Argentina