Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by David E Jones <jo...@undersunconsulting.com> on 2007/05/19 05:55:18 UTC

Re: Defining the OFBiz's project goal

This is an interesting question... and one that should probably be discussed frequently as things tend to change over time.

In general though the goal of OFBiz is as stated on the home page. It is meant to be a comprehensive enterprise information automation system. The core of the project is intended to include a general framework for efficiently building applications, plus a complete set of applications (data model, services, UI elements) to automate general business processes and support "most of what most companies need to operate". On top of those we also have (and plan to have more of) a number of more "special purpose" applications that are used for specific types of users or organizations.

The stuff that Jacopo quoted below was meant to tie into the "World Domination" joke that was part of the JavaOne presentation. In other words, it was a little tongue-in-cheek. Of course, these things could really happen, and we're certainly on a growth curve and that may lead to these things.

Like you mentioned Jacopo, how much and how soon this happens will depend on how much contribute to the project.

The real key for that is pretty simple. If everyone who offers services based on OFBiz, or who extends or customizes OFBiz for their organization, or who create derivative works (open source or commercial) would follow a little three step process whenever they develop something, the project would have (with the current community, as I estimate it from the hip) around 20-30 times the involvement it does now (in SVN, Jira, mailing lists, etc). Here is the little three step process:

1. identify what is general or makes sense to parameterize and what is specific to their requirements
2. implement the general or easily parameterizable elements and contribute them to the open source project (which will soon result in streamlining that by the people involved becoming committers and PMC members)
3. configure or extend the functionality in OFBiz to meet requirements being pursued

The only reason OFBiz exists right now is that there are a number of people and organizations who do this now, and have done this for a number of years.

It does require a little bit more work to do this, but mostly just when getting started with and used to doing things this way. In the long run because things are better thought out and more reusable for current and future projects this actually results in far less work, and not by a little, but rather by a LOT!

So, there's my attempt at food for thought... and discussion.

-David

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
the way google works for SEO is to have a blog that is updated often
with new material.
They like to see information useful to the public about the products
so them more of this type of information that is added on a regular
basis, the higher the rating in google.
Note Search engines not longer use keywords for searches.
Duplicate content work against you.
Also google has key words you pay for to get top ranking

Anil Patel sent the following on 5/20/2007 11:38 AM:

Posted by Anil Patel <ap...@adititechlabs.com>.
Hi,

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.

#2 again, for someone like me, when major changes are done, with no

#1. it would be nice to have something like the best practices to have a

Posted by Tim Ruppert <ti...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Yeah, I think if we can spend a little more time marketing ourselves
to everyone - not just developers - we'll find that even more
companies will appreciate what OFBiz has to offer.  The only thing
that commercial companies like Elastic Path (eComm specific) have on
us is marketing and a big fat price tag.  We can do this.

Cheers,
Tim
--
Tim Ruppert
HotWax Media

o:801.649.6594
f:801.649.6595

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ti...@sastau.it>.
David, Tim,

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Tim Ruppert wrote:
> Now getting back to the OFBiz project goal, I'm going to have to ever so
> slightly disagree with our goal stopping there.  While I agree that
> OFBiz is a comprehensive enterprise information automation system - and
> I'm WAY stoked to be working on it - I think that OFBiz is FAR more than
> just a framework that people use to build applications.  In fact if
> OFBiz is just a framework - than what application out there that takes
> some configuration (note that I didn't say customization) isn't?

Just to clarify, I really do agree with this. Maybe if I took my scope paragraph and split it into some bullet points it would make it more clear...

In general though the goal of OFBiz is as stated on the home page. It is meant to be a comprehensive enterprise information automation system:

1. the core of the project is intended to include a general framework for efficiently building applications

2. plus a complete set of applications (data model, services, UI elements) to automate general business processes and support "most of what most companies need to operate"

3. on top of those we also have (and plan to have more of) a number of more "special purpose" applications that are used for specific types of users or organizations

-David

Re: Defining the OFBiz's project goal

Posted by Tim Ruppert <ti...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
David, +1 on the steps there.  If we all took a bit more time to
think about what we are working on and how to generalize it more - we
would definitely have MUCH more code contributed and reused.  No
doubt about it!

Now getting back to the OFBiz project goal, I'm going to have to ever
so slightly disagree with our goal stopping there.  While I agree
that OFBiz is a comprehensive enterprise information automation
system - and I'm WAY stoked to be working on it - I think that OFBiz
is FAR more than just a framework that people use to build
applications.  In fact if OFBiz is just a framework - than what
application out there that takes some configuration (note that I
didn't say customization) isn't?

Personally, I think looking at the stated goals that you and Ean came
up with at the conference - I actually fall closer to that camp as to
where I think that OFBiz has the potential of going.  I look at this
project and it's future and I see the best God damn ERP system out
there!  Once we are able to complete some of the applications that we
have all been thinking about putting into the project:

1. Project Management
2. CRM
3. SFA
4. Full Financials Package
5. Human Resources
6. Automated Customer Service / Knowledge Base
7. Fully Featured Content Management

We will have a system unlike anything out there.  Something that
fulfills what people are looking for in an ERP system - but with the
added bonus that you CAN build other applications on top.

My two cents - let's rally around this one.

Cheers,
Tim
--
Tim Ruppert