Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by tonjg <to...@freeuk.com> on 2010/01/28 17:16:04 UTC

bayes learning '0 messages found'

raq550 server
OS: strongbolt2
spamassassin.i386 0:3.2.5-1.el4

I'm trying to run:
sa-learn --spam --showdots --dir /path/to...mbox
but it fails with:
'Learned tokens from 0 message(s) (0 messages examined)'
my spam mail is in a file called mbox but when I run the above command to
the directory containg mbox it always fails with the '0 messages examined'
error.
I've also tried copying the mbox file to another location, removing all the
restrictions on it but I still get '0 messages learned'.
I know the sa-learn command is working properly because I previously pointed
it to a wrong location and it picked up 3 tokens but it won't pick up
anything from the mbox file. I've even tried renaming the (copied) mbox file
and restarting spamassassin but no joy.
The mbox file contains about 200 spam mails and is 3.5Mb. Thanks for any
help.

Re: bayes learning '0 messages found'

Posted by Charles Gregory <cg...@hwcn.org>.
On Sat, 13 Feb 2010, smfabac wrote:
> $ sa-learn --showdots --ham --mbox notspam
> Learned tokens from 0 message(s) (0 message(s) examined)
> Still no luck.

Are we sure the notspam file is clean? Try trimming it down to just one or
two messages, and see how it goes....

- C

Re: bayes learning '0 messages found'

Posted by smfabac <sm...@att.net>.

Charles Gregory wrote:

> On Sat, 13 Feb 2010, smfabac wrote:
>> Now that we're all on the same page. How do I find out why sa-learn
>> is not processing the legal not-spam file?  To re-cap, "sa-learn --spam
>> --mbox isspam" works but "sa-learn --ham --mbox not-spam" is not
>> working.
>
> Well, I would expect if this suggestion were right you would have had all
> sorts of warning messages about syntax, but just in case....
>
> Maybe linux is interpreting the dash in the filename as a switch
> indicator? Try enclosing the file name in single quotes or use a filename
> without a dash...
>
> - C

$ ls -lt | head -3
total 15868
-rw-------   1 smf      group     249046 Feb 13 02:37 not-spam
-rw-rw-rw-   1 smf      group      94762 Feb 13 02:29 isspam
$ mv not-spam notspam
$ ls -lt | head -3
total 15868
-rw-------   1 smf      group     249046 Feb 13 02:37 notspam
-rw-rw-rw-   1 smf      group      94762 Feb 13 02:29 isspam

$ sa-learn --showdots --ham --mbox notspam

Learned tokens from 0 message(s) (0 message(s) examined)
$

On the off chance that permissions on the file is an issue:

$ chmod 666 notspam
$ ls -lt | head -3
total 15868
-rw-rw-rw-   1 smf      group     249046 Feb 13 02:37 notspam

Posted by Charles Gregory <cg...@hwcn.org>.

Posted by Kai Schaetzl <ma...@conactive.com>.
Smfabac wrote on Mon, 15 Feb 2010 07:27:19 -0800 (PST):

> The question "So, does the documentation on sa-learn indicate that there is
> size limit on the messages to be processed?" is a veiled request to the SA
> developers/maintainers that people may be interested in that information.

If you want to ask for better documentation of this for instance in the man
file or even an option to override the default size limit you should ask on
https://issues.apache.org/SpamAssassin/

Kai

Re: bayes learning '0 messages found'

Posted by smfabac <sm...@att.net>.

Kai Schaetzl wrote:

> Smfabac wrote on Mon, 15 Feb 2010 00:20:06 -0800 (PST):
>
>> So, does the documentation on sa-learn indicate that there is
>> a size limit on the message to be processed?
>
> Why not check yourself?
>
> Kai
>
> --
> Get your web at Conactive Internet Services: http://www.conactive.com

Thanks for your help Kai.

After checking
http://spamassassin.apache.org/full/3.0.x/dist/doc/sa-learn.html

I see that there is no official answer to the question. "what is the message
size limit where sa-learn fails."

Posted by Kai Schaetzl <ma...@conactive.com>.

Posted by smfabac <sm...@att.net>.

John Hardin wrote:

> On Sat, 13 Feb 2010, smfabac wrote:
>
>> Is there a message size limit for sa-learn?
>
> Yes, there is, and sadly sa-learn does not explicitly tell you a message
> has been skipped because it's too large.
>
> If there's a non-text attachment try deleteing it and re-learning the
> message.
>
> --
>   John Hardin KA7OHZ                    http://www.impsec.org/~jhardin/
>   jhardin@impsec.org    FALaholic #11174     pgpk -a jhardin@impsec.org
>   key: 0xB8732E79 -- 2D8C 34F4 6411 F507 136C  AF76 D822 E6E6 B873 2E79
>    End users want eye candy and the "ooo's and aaaahhh's" experience
>    when reading mail. To them email isn't a tool, but an entertainment
>    form.                                                 -- Steve Lake
>   9 days until George Washington's 278th Birthday

Ok. It's a size problem:

I edited the notspam message and deleted 1000 lines from line 3000 to
4000, saved the file and then reprocessed notspam.

I continued getting 0 messages examined until I had deleted 3000 lines
of the message:

Message size as received:

$ wc -l notspam
   6408 notspam  <-- sa-learn --ham failed on notspam folder
                             with one message  of 6000+ lines
$

After deleting 3003 lines:

$ wc -l notspam
   3405 notspam
$ vi notspam

     1  ^A^A^A^A
     2  From smf  Thu Feb 11 01:30:02 2010
     3  From: Boyd Lynn Gerber <ge...@zenez.com>
     4  To: distribution@registry.ca
     5  Subject: Quarterly ASCII posting of SCO UnixWare 7/OpenUNIX
8/OpenServer6 FAQ
     6  Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 00:05:18 -0700 (MST)
     7  Message-Id: <ou...@news.xmission.com>
  3395
  3396               filepriv -f setuid programfile.exe
  3397
  3398  --
  3399  Boyd Gerber <ge...@zenez.com> 801 849-0213
  3400  ZENEZ   1042 East Fort Union #135, Midvale Utah  84047
  3401
  3402
  3403  ------------=_4B73B21B.8398EDEC--
  3404
  3405  ^A^A^A^A

$ sa-learn --showdots --ham --mbox notspam
.
Learned tokens from 1 message(s) (1 message(s) examined)
$
$ wc notspam
  lines: 3405  words:  18735  characters: 130876 notspam

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.

Posted by smfabac <sm...@att.net>.

RW-15 wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 17:51:12 +0000
> RW <rw...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 09:17:54 -0800 (PST)
>> smfabac <sm...@att.net> wrote:
>>

>> > Mark,
>> >
>> > On UNIX any file is a mbox file if it contains mail messages in the
>> > form:
>> >
>> > ^A^A^A^A
>> > mail headers
>> > mail body
>> > ^A^A^A^A
>> > ^A^A^A^A
>> > mail body
>> > ^A^A^A^A
>>
>> I don't know what that is, but it's not a standard mbox format.
>>
>> In mbox format the emails all start with a blank line and a From.
>

> It appears to be mmdf format
>
> http://www.washington.edu/imap/documentation/formats.txt.html

Ok,

Now that we're all on the same page. How do I find out why sa-learn
is not processing the legal not-spam file?  To re-cap, "sa-learn --spam
--mbox isspam" works but "sa-learn --ham --mbox not-spam" is not
working.

The sa-learn --dump magic shows that messages have been
added by the sa-learn command:

$ sa-learn --dump magic
0.000          0          3          0  non-token data: bayes db version
0.000          0      12551          0  non-token data: nspam
0.000          0      68020          0  non-token data: nham
0.000          0     143948          0  non-token data: ntokens
0.000          0 1260104403          0  non-token data: oldest atime
0.000          0 1266048014          0  non-token data: newest atime
0.000          0 1266049794          0  non-token data: last journal sync
atime
0.000          0 1265630710          0  non-token data: last expiry atime
0.000          0    5529600          0  non-token data: last expire atime
delta
0.000          0      19095          0  non-token data: last expire
reduction co
unt

$ sa-learn --spam --mbox isspam
Learned tokens from 1 message(s) (1 message(s) examined)
$

$ sa-learn --dump magic
0.000          0          3          0  non-token data: bayes db version
0.000          0      12552          0  non-token data: nspam
0.000          0      68020          0  non-token data: nham
0.000          0     144608          0  non-token data: ntokens
0.000          0 1260104403          0  non-token data: oldest atime
0.000          0 1266048014          0  non-token data: newest atime
0.000          0 1266049794          0  non-token data: last journal sync
atime
0.000          0 1265630710          0  non-token data: last expiry atime
0.000          0    5529600          0  non-token data: last expire atime
delta
0.000          0      19095          0  non-token data: last expire
reduction co
unt
$

As you can see the nspam has incremented by 1.

$ sa-learn --ham --mbox not-spam
Learned tokens from 0 message(s) (0 message(s) examined)
$

Read Create Save Delete Undelete Print Folder Options Quit
Set mail options and preferences
Folder: not-spam                                Saturday February 13, 2010
2:34
---------------------------------- [1] Message
--------------------------------
          1 gerberb@zenez.co  11 Feb 10 6404  Quarterly ASCII posting of SCO
Uni

Is there a message size limit for sa-learn?  The message in not-spam is
plain ascii, no html.

$ wc -l not-spam
   6408 not-spam  <-- sa-learn --ham failed on not-spam folder with one
message
$
$ wc -l isspam
   1039 isspam   <-- sa-learn --spam worked on isspam folder with one
message
$

Re: bayes learning '0 messages found'

Posted by RW <rw...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by RW <rw...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>.
On 12.02.10 09:17, smfabac wrote:
> On UNIX any file is a mbox file if it contains mail messages in the form:
>
> ^A^A^A^A
> mail headers
> mail body
> ^A^A^A^A
> ^A^A^A^A
> mail body
> ^A^A^A^A

mmdf, not mbox.

> And my not-spam file meets this requirement:
>
> ^A^A^A^A

sa-learn apparently does not support mmdf. when sa-learn does not recognize
the format of the file, it does not learn from it.

> Also, reading the file with the command "mail -f not-spam" launches
> the UNIX mail reader showing that the file is legal mbox file.

your "mail" command supports mmdf.

save the message to mbox format (saving it to a single file without the ^A's
could work) and try sa-learn from it.
Linux - It's now safe to turn on your computer.
Linux - Teraz mozete pocitac bez obav zapnut.

Re: bayes learning '0 messages found'

Posted by smfabac <sm...@att.net>.

From: Boyd Lynn Gerber <ge...@zenez.com>
To: distribution@registry.ca
stuff deleted

Re: bayes learning '0 messages found'

Posted by Mark Martinec <Ma...@ijs.si>.

Posted by smfabac <sm...@att.net>.

tonjg wrote:

> raq550 server
> OS: strongbolt2
> spamassassin.i386 0:3.2.5-1.el4
>
> I'm trying to run:
> sa-learn --spam --showdots --dir /path/to...mbox
> but it fails with:
> 'Learned tokens from 0 message(s) (0 messages examined)'
> my spam mail is in a file called mbox but when I run the above command to
> the directory containg mbox it always fails with the '0 messages examined'
> error.
> I've also tried copying the mbox file to another location, removing all
> the restrictions on it but I still get '0 messages learned'.
> I know the sa-learn command is working properly because I previously
> pointed it to a wrong location and it picked up 3 tokens but it won't pick
> up anything from the mbox file. I've even tried renaming the (copied) mbox
> file and restarting spamassassin but no joy.
> The mbox file contains about 200 spam mails and is 3.5Mb. Thanks for any
> help.

I am having a similar problem as the  poster but I have successfully run
spamassassin for several years and today when I used the sa-lean
command to process the mailbox where I moved the mis-classified
mail message (not-spam) I get:

$ sa-learn --showdots --ham --mbox not-spam

Learned tokens from 0 message(s) (0 message(s) examined)
$

Check the mail folder not-spam:

$ mail -f not-spam
SCO OpenServer Mail Release 5.0.7  Type ? for help.
"not-spam": 1 message
>   1 gerberb@zenez.co Thu Feb 11 01:30 6405/248986 Quarterly ASCII posting
> of
&

And reading the message:

Message  1:
From: Boyd Lynn Gerber <ge...@zenez.com>
To: distribution@registry.ca
Subject: Quarterly ASCII posting of SCO UnixWare 7/OpenUNIX 8/OpenServer 6
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 00:05:18 -0700 (MST)

------------=_4B73B21B.8398EDEC

Spam detection software, running on the system "unix.smfabac.com", has

And sa-learn --dump --magic shows:

$ sa-learn --dump magic
0.000          0          3          0  non-token data: bayes db version
0.000          0      12551          0  non-token data: nspam
0.000          0      67987          0  non-token data: nham
0.000          0     143194          0  non-token data: ntokens
0.000          0 1260104403          0  non-token data: oldest atime
0.000          0 1265990403          0  non-token data: newest atime
0.000          0 1265991303          0  non-token data: last journal sync
atime
0.000          0 1265630710          0  non-token data: last expiry atime
0.000          0    5529600          0  non-token data: last expire atime
delta
0.000          0      19095          0  non-token data: last expire
reduction co
unt
$

I have successfully run sa-learn --ham --mbox not-spam in the past so
why is it failing me now?

how do I determine why the message is not being processed by sa-learn?

Re: bayes learning '0 messages found'

Posted by Kevin Parris <KP...@ed.sc.gov>.
If what you presented in your message is actually the command you used, then it might be looking for some input from the keyboard - you don't illustrate having specified the particular file you want it to use following the '--mbox' option, you have "--ham" in that position on the line.  I have not done any testing, so I can't say exactly how it would behave in that situation.

Mark Martinec wrote:

> If the argument is a single mbox file, precede it with a --mbox option,
> not with --dir .

thanks for your response but I've got a further problem now (I think). I'm
trying to do the same thing with the ham command# sa-learn --showdots --mbox
--ham but nothing's happening. When I did the spam command it showed a
progression of dots and ended with a confirmation message of tokens found
and 216 emails scanned. But with the ham command there's nothing happening -
the cursor just dropped to the next line and it's been there for half an
hour now. Is this normal?

Re: bayes learning '0 messages found'

Posted by tonjg <to...@freeuk.com>.

Posted by Mark Martinec <Ma...@ijs.si>.

Posted by tonjg <to...@freeuk.com>.
it's okay - I found the solution at:
http://spamassassin.apache.org/full/3.1.x/doc/sa-learn.html
the command needed --mbox to be included. I added this and the learning
worked.