Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Carles Canellas <cc...@yahoo.es> on 2002/10/22 12:12:00 UTC

Forrestbot in dynamic webapp.

Hello.
We have started using Forrest to improve our site
global aspect.
For some reasons, we need a dynamic live webapp (under
 Tomcat) instead of a static html pages. We have used
the "war" and "webapp" options of forrest with
success, and we are very happy with these features.
Now we're trying to customize the forrestbot to cover
our needs, to get the content via CVS and replace the
xml xdocs in the deployed directory, but without
generating static HTML pages.
My question is: Before starting to look how works the
ant build, and how to customize it... there's an
standard way of doing it? Someone has done something
similar?
If there's not standard way of dealing with that, I'll
work in my own sollution and give it to you as an
standard way, including the explanation in the docs of
"Forrestbot"

Thanks in advance.

=====
Carles Canellas.
Vicer Tec S.L.

Yahoo! Messenger
Descárgalo ya desde http://messenger.yahoo.es

Re: Forrestbot in dynamic webapp.

Posted by Carles Canellas <cc...@yahoo.es>.
 --- Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org> escribió:
> > Now we're trying to customize the forrestbot to
> cover
> > our needs, to get the content via CVS and replace
> the
> > xml xdocs in the deployed directory, but without
> > generating static HTML pages.
> > My question is: Before starting to look how works
> the
> > ant build, and how to customize it... there's an
> > standard way of doing it?
>
> I don't think Forrestbot has support for webapps,
> though we'll definitely
> need it for sites hosted on cocoondev.org.
> > Someone has done something similar?
> > If there's not standard way of dealing with that,
> I'll
> > work in my own sollution and give it to you as an
> > standard way, including the explanation in the
> docs of
> > "Forrestbot"
>
> That would be much appreciated.  Incidentally, are
> you planning that the
> script restart the servlet container (Tomcat, etc)?
> Tomcat 4 comes with
> some <deploy> Ant tasks, and I have a Tomcat 3
> equivalent, if it helps.
Well, I'm starting looking at how to arrage it.

I didn't tought in restarting the servlet container,
because we're planning by the moment just changing
dynamically (by the bot system) the content of the
xdocs, not the java code.

Thanks for your answer.

=====

Posted by Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 12:12:00PM +0200, Carles Canellas wrote:
> Hello.
> We have started using Forrest to improve our site
> global aspect.
> For some reasons, we need a dynamic live webapp (under
>  Tomcat) instead of a static html pages. We have used
> the "war" and "webapp" options of forrest with
> success, and we are very happy with these features.
> Now we're trying to customize the forrestbot to cover
> our needs, to get the content via CVS and replace the
> xml xdocs in the deployed directory, but without
> generating static HTML pages.
> My question is: Before starting to look how works the
> ant build, and how to customize it... there's an
> standard way of doing it?

I don't think Forrestbot has support for webapps, though we'll definitely
need it for sites hosted on cocoondev.org.

> Someone has done something similar?
> If there's not standard way of dealing with that, I'll
> work in my own sollution and give it to you as an
> standard way, including the explanation in the docs of
> "Forrestbot"

That would be much appreciated.  Incidentally, are you planning that the
script restart the servlet container (Tomcat, etc)?  Tomcat 4 comes with
some <deploy> Ant tasks, and I have a Tomcat 3 equivalent, if it helps.

--Jeff