Posted to wss4j-dev@ws.apache.org by Lee Breisacher <LB...@seagullsoftware.com> on 2006/07/10 19:11:12 UTC

alternative password verification

I have a system configuration that doesn't seem to fit into the wss4j
password-verification mechanism.  I'm on the server side and I do not
have direct access to passwords, so I cannot write a password
CallbackHandler that fills in the password for a given user id. Rather I
have programmatic access to a name/password-verification system -- I
pass in a name/password pair and it answers "valid" or "not valid" (I'm
oversimplifying, but that's the basic idea).

I've managed to make it work when I use PasswordText (plain text
passwords) because in that case the WSPasswordCallback object includes
the plain text password. But in the case where the password is digested,
the WSPasswordCallback object does not include the password (digested or
otherwise).

So, does anyone have a suggestion for how to best utilize wss4j in this
situation?

Thanks,

Lee

RE: alternative password verification

Posted by Lee Breisacher <LB...@seagullsoftware.com>.
Ah - sorry, I'm sorta new to this and I had not really understood what
digested means. Now I've read up on it and I see that it is a one-way
operation. So yeah, I'm stuck with plain text (or it looks like I could
make up my own password type that would have some private two-way
encryption scheme).

Thanks,

Lee

Posted by Lee Breisacher <LB...@seagullsoftware.com>.