Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com> on 2015/03/03 01:25:49 UTC

Re: Are there windows binaries for 5.20?

Hi.

I am a bit confused now.
I have downloaded
http://people.apache.org/~stevehay/mod_perl-2.0.8-strawberryperl-5.18.4.1-32bit-no64.zip
(for which many thanks anyway, no matter what follows).
I tried to use that first on my old and venerable Windows XP 32-bit SP3 laptop.
When trying to compile a small test module (see below), I got a compilation error :

C:\develop\06_SVN\AP2lib\trunk\modlib\AM>perl -cw Basket.pm
panic: no address for 'Apache2::Const::compile' in 'Const.xs' at C:/strawberry/p
erl/lib/XSLoader.pm line 92.
Compilation failed in require at Basket.pm line 9.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at Basket.pm line 9.

Line 9 is :
use Apache2::Const -compile => qw(REDIRECT);
or just
use Apache2::Const;

But this (old and venerable) laptop is also quite messy, so I didn't trust it all that
much.  I thus tried this all again on a much more recent and clean 64-bit Windows 7 Pro
workstation, on which there is installed :
- StrawberryPerl 5.18 32-bit , in c:\strawberry.
- Apache 2.2.29 32-bit (ApacheLounge :
https://www.apachelounge.com/download/win32/binaries/httpd-2.2.29-win32.zip), in c:\apache2

The full versions of both can be found in the attached file "test_mp2_compile.txt".

Following the instructions in the mod_perl zip file above, I copied
- the zip-file's "Apache2" directory over C:\Apache2
- the zip-file's "Strawberry" directory over C:\strawberry

Then I tried to compile the small partial module again (source shown also in the attached
text file). And I first got the errors successively shown in the attachments screenshots.
The first (error_01) popup seems to tell me that the file "libaprutil-1.dll" isn't found,
after which I get some strange perl compiler error.
The file is there however, as shown in error_03.jpg.

That is apparently solved by adding "C:\apache2\bin" to the system PATH variable (which
the ApacheLounge installation doesn't do).

But then, trying to compile the test module again, the popup doesn't occur anymore, but I
get another compile error as shown in "error_04.jpg", which is the same error as on my old
and venerable and messy laptop (which seems thus to be not so totally messy after all, at
least not in that respect).

What am I missing (on both systems) ?

TIA
André

Posted by Steve Hay <st...@googlemail.com>.
Your perl -V output shows:

archname=MSWin32-x86-multi-thread-64int

which means you have the 64-bit-int version of Strawberry Perl.

My builds are (out of necessity) for the normal 32-bit-int versions,
named "no64" -- as suggested by the names of my zip files, and as I
clearly stated in the announcement emails.

Please try again with the "no64" version of Strawberry Perl.

Ideally try using 5.18.4 to match the version of Strawberry Perl that
I used. Your perl -V shows 5.18.2, although in theory they should, of
course, be binary compatible.

Posted by André Warnier <aw...@ice-sa.com>.
Hi.

Never mind all the stuff below (although it may end up helping another compiler-dummy like
me). I now got the reason : on my laptop (and also on the other Windows machine) the
version of Strawberry Perl was 5.18.4.1 32-bit, but it was /not/ the "no-64-bit-ints"
specific version found here :
http://strawberryperl.com/releases.html
section : "5.18.4.1 / 32bit - without USE_64_BIT_INT"

Once I corrected that (and re-installed the rest as per below), the error went away.

Many, many thanks for the binaries, and sorry for the noise.

André