Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by "K.A.Hussain Ali" <Hu...@photoninfotech.com> on 2005/12/27 09:49:02 UTC

Indexing and deleting simultaneously..

HI all.

I am a newbie to Lucene..
Could we do indexing and deleting a document on the same file simultaneously ?

Do lucene provide such options to carry out  the tasks?

Any Help is greatly appreciated

Thanks in advacne

regards
-Hussain.

Re: Indexing and deleting simultaneously..

Posted by Dave Kor <da...@gmail.com>.
On 12/27/05, K.A.Hussain Ali <Hu...@photoninfotech.com> wrote:
> HI all.
>
> I am a newbie to Lucene..
> Could we do indexing and deleting a document on the same file simultaneously ?

At any one time, there can only be a single Lucene index writer and
any number of index readers. You cannot have two different index
writer threads modifying the same index simultaneously. Thus, no, you
cannot have one thread indexing new documents and another thread
deleting documents from the same index at the same time.

What you can do is have a single index writer thread that interleave
add document and delete document operations in a sequential manner.