Posted to community@apache.org by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch> on 2004/05/04 19:15:44 UTC

ApacheCon Europe???

Hi community

There are several committers I know here in Europe who'd very much love
an ApacheCon in our vicinity. I'm pretty sure we could even have a
number of volunteers for a serious Apache event. Not just the occasional
booth at some IT fair. I'm pretty sure we're coming out empty this year
but hopefully next year?

Anything going on in this direction already? Volunteers? People with
contacts to possible sponsors? What about joinging http://lots.ch next
year?

WDYT?

Jeremias Maerki

Re: ApacheCon Europe???

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi Jeremias,

> There are several committers I know here in Europe who'd very much love
> an ApacheCon in our vicinity...

I'd love to be able to participate in an ApacheCon, but Vegas is far
away...
So +1 for an ApacheCon in Europe, or a smaller GetTogether depending on
possible help and budget.

> ...What about joining http://lots.ch next year?

FYI, I've joined the LOTS organization team (as of yesterday, no
kidding ;-) and as such will be involved in the organization of next
year's event.

This year's conference, although not that big in size and budget, has
been a success, which means sponsors will certainly be willing to help
next year as well.

So, assuming a full-blown ApacheCon is too ambitious, I like the idea:
collaborate with lots.ch to have more ASF talks and workshops next
year, and setup some ASF-specific meeting points or social events?

-Bertrand

Re: ApacheCon Europe???

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
On 04 May 2004, at 19:15, Jeremias Maerki wrote:

> Anything going on in this direction already? Volunteers? People with
> contacts to possible sponsors? What about joinging http://lots.ch next
> year?

If you don't spend attention to the Cocoon weenies and talks, and just
want to join for evening and community fun, there will be the Cocoon
GetTogether on October 11/12th 2004 in Ghent, Belgium. Last year we had
125 people showing up, with 2/3 of them being non-Belgian. We'll have
one Cocoon-specific day of talks, and one hackathon day where anyone
can do fun stuff should they feel inclined to.

</Steven>
stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: ApacheCon Europe???

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.
On 5 May 2004, at 14:46, Ben Laurie wrote:

> If people want to meet in London, I have a big house...

IMark (the VNU Exhibitions/Conventions part of the company) just moved
in the ground floor of my building... If London is a good town, I can
fish out some locations and maybe free help...

	Pier

Re: ApacheCon Europe???

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.

Re: ApacheCon Europe???

Posted by Berin Lautenbach <be...@wingsofhermes.org>.
Martin van den Bemt wrote:

 > Correct spelling Rijsttafel and indeed it is a rice table :)
 > Dutch isn't that hard...

Hah!  My old man tried to teach me Dutch when I was a wee tacker.  I
still haven't quite recovered.

And the day I first heard him on the phone to his sister was a real spinout.

Mind you - language was never my strong point.

:>

Cheers,
	Berin

Re: ApacheCon Europe???

Posted by Martin van den Bemt <ma...@mvdb.net>.
Correct spelling Rijsttafel and indeed it is a rice table :)
Dutch isn't that hard...

Mvgr,
Martin

Re: ApacheCon Europe???

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>.
On May 9, 2004, at 6:59 PM, Niclas Hedhman wrote:

> On Friday 07 May 2004 05:41, Ben Laurie wrote:
>> rijstaffel
>
> Rijs = Rice ?
	Rijst == Rice
> Taffel = Table?
	Tafel = Table.

History has it that when the dutch first turned up in Indonesia the
local king
did not quite know what to serve the dutch. So they deceided to have a
feast
where they would put on the table a bit of every thing. The dutch have
loved
that concept to this day. In fact - if you are ever invited on a duch
navy
vessel for a formal dinner - they'll rather serve you ricetable than
something
dutch traditional and bland.

http://members.chello.nl/m.sluys/Koken/indonesisch/rijsttafel.html
	picture at the end

http://www.dutchclubpr.info/pic_html/R2002-02Eng.html

Dw

Re: ApacheCon Europe???

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Friday 07 May 2004 05:41, Ben Laurie wrote:
> rijstaffel

Rijs = Rice ?
Taffel = Table?

Enlighten me!

Niclas

Re: ApacheCon Europe???

Posted by Lars Eilebrecht <la...@hyperreal.org>.
According to Dirk-Willem:

> It is easy to host one here in Leiden (15 minutes from Amsterdam
> Airport). One of the churches which acts as a WiFi node in the city
> network has an ideal room for 15-30 people; there is another location for

Free WiFi sounds great. :-)

ciao...
--
Lars Eilebrecht          - You have the right to remain silent.  Anything
lars@hyperreal.org     - you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Re: ApacheCon Europe???

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@asemantics.com>.
On May 6, 2004, at 11:41 PM, Ben Laurie wrote:

> Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:
>> coffee/tea/lunch served there. Cost wise expect around 100/person for
>> a two day
>> hackathon including 2 lunches, beers, 1 dinner, connectivity,
>> powerstrips, beamer, etc.
>
> So long as dinner is rijstaffel ;-)

You BET ! They are the cheapest around if you are with 20+ people :-)

Dw

Re: ApacheCon Europe???

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.

Re: ApacheCon Europe???

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@asemantics.com>.

Re: ApacheCon Europe???

Posted by Raphaël Luta <ra...@apache.org>.
Torsten Curdt wrote:
> David Reid wrote:
>
>>> Hi community
>>>
>>> There are several committers I know here in Europe who'd very much love
>>> an ApacheCon in our vicinity. I'm pretty sure we could even have a
>>> number of volunteers for a serious Apache event. Not just the occasional
>>> booth at some IT fair. I'm pretty sure we're coming out empty this year
>>> but hopefully next year?
>>

>> Why not just organise an ASF get together anyways? Doesn't have to be
>> associated with a conference does it?
>

> Would probably be cheaper as well. I guess a lot
> of us are more after the real life meetings than
> the sessions anyway.
>
> This sounds like a really good idea!
> What place would you propose?
>
> * Berlin
> * Frankfurt
> * London
> * Paris
> * Rom
> * Zürich
> * ...

For what it's worth I have pretty good contacts at the Tourist and
Congress Office of Paris and they have already provided a free
conference room last year for a Jetspeed Users meeting I organised.

So if Paris is considered for this get together, I can help finding
a venue at reasonable rates.

And of course, I'm definitely +1 on the idea :)

--
Raphaël Luta - raphael@apache.org
Apache Jetspeed - Enterprise Portal in Java

Re: ApacheCon Europe???

Posted by Torsten Curdt <tc...@vafer.org>.

Re: ApacheCon Europe???

Posted by David Reid <da...@jetnet.co.uk>.
> Hi community
>
> There are several committers I know here in Europe who'd very much love
> an ApacheCon in our vicinity. I'm pretty sure we could even have a
> number of volunteers for a serious Apache event. Not just the occasional
> booth at some IT fair. I'm pretty sure we're coming out empty this year
> but hopefully next year?

Why not just organise an ASF get together anyways? Doesn't have to be
associated with a conference does it?

david