Posted to taglibs-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Rich Catlett <ri...@more.net> on 2001/02/16 23:17:42 UTC

taglib for submission

I work with a committer, and I have a taglib that I would like to commit
to the Apache project.  First off the taglib is called scrape.  It makes
an http connection to a named site and then using regular expressions it
grabs a portion and displays it in the users own jsp page.  It
understands the http headers lastmodified and expired, and it uses these
along with a time limit to determine if it needs to go and rescrape the
page of if it can use a cached version.  This way it is not banging on
the servers all of the time and it speeds up the page when it is
requested.  I have a few questions though, the taglib uses an HTTPClient
package that is licensed under the GNU LGPL.  This falls under this
section of the license:

  6. As an exception to the Sections above, you may also combine or
link a "work that uses the Library" with the Library to produce a
work containing portions of the Library, and distribute that work
under terms of your choice, provided that the terms permit
modification of the work for the customer's own use and reverse
engineering for debugging such modifications.

  You must give prominent notice with each copy of the work that the
Library is used in it and that the Library and its use are covered by
this License.  You must supply a copy of this License.  If the work
during execution displays copyright notices, you must include the
copyright notice for the Library among them, as well as a reference
directing the user to the copy of this License.  Also, you must do one
of these things:

    a) Accompany the work with the complete corresponding
    machine-readable source code for the Library including whatever
    changes were used in the work (which must be distributed under
    Sections 1 and 2 above); and, if the work is an executable linked
    with the Library, with the complete machine-readable "work that
    uses the Library", as object code and/or source code, so that the
    user can modify the Library and then relink to produce a modified
    executable containing the modified Library.  (It is understood
    that the user who changes the contents of definitions files in the
    Library will not necessarily be able to recompile the application
    to use the modified definitions.)

It seems to me that all I have to do is include the entire HTTPClient
package in it's slightly modified version with the license, and that will
be fine.  I wanted to ask those who are licenseing gurus, if this is a
correct assumption.

Rich Catlett        rich@more.net |  Confuscious say "Man who stand |
student programmer                |   on toilet, high on pot!"      |

Re: taglib for submission

Posted by Rich Catlett <ri...@more.net>.
How would I go about just getting an HTTP client package, or would I have
to extract it from one of the projects mentioned below.

Rich Catlett

Re: taglib for submission

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.

Re: taglib for submission