Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch> on 2007/05/07 08:34:37 UTC

Gauging interest for incubating PDFBox...

At ApacheCon last week, I got the impression that quite a few Apache
projects (especially the Lucene and XML Graphics communities) have a
particular interest in PDFBox, a library for manipulating PDF files (BSD
license): http://www.pdfbox.org

Ben Litchfield, PDFBox's main author, has contacted the FOP devs about a
year ago to find out if there are possibilities to work together more
closely. FOP has a PDF library of its own but both projects could gain a
few things by eventually merging the PDF functionality. Back then, a few
FOP people basically found this a good idea but due to the lack of free
resources on both sides this hasn't been pursued, yet. Maybe the itch
wasn't hard enough but it's building.

So, after hearing PDFBox mentioned many times last week, I thought it
might be a good idea to ask around inside a wider area to see how the
ASF is potentially interested in adopting PDFBox among its projects. Ben
and I exchanged another mail yesterday and and he is still interested in
pursuing this idea. I could allocate time for this starting in October
2007.

Jeremias Maerki

Re: Gauging interest for incubating PDFBox...

Posted by Thilo Goetz <tw...@gmx.de>.
Jukka Zitting wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 5/7/07, Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch> wrote:
>> So, after hearing PDFBox mentioned many times last week, I thought it
>> might be a good idea to ask around inside a wider area to see how the
>> ASF is potentially interested in adopting PDFBox among its projects.
>
> At least Jackrabbit and Nutch currently use PDFBox and the library
> would also be an ideal companion for the Tika toolkit, so I'd be very
> happy to see PDFBox joining the ASF. :-)
>
> BR,
>
> Jukka Zitting

UIMA would also be interested in using PDFBox, most likely via Tika.  So
+1 to bringing PDFBox to Apache.

--Thilo

Re: Gauging interest for incubating PDFBox...

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <be...@googlemail.com>.
On 5/7/07, Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 5/7/07, Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch> wrote:
> > So, after hearing PDFBox mentioned many times last week, I thought it
> > might be a good idea to ask around inside a wider area to see how the
> > ASF is potentially interested in adopting PDFBox among its projects.
>
> At least Jackrabbit and Nutch currently use PDFBox and the library
> would also be an ideal companion for the Tika toolkit, so I'd be very
> happy to see PDFBox joining the ASF. :-)

+1

  Bernd

  Bernd

Re: Gauging interest for incubating PDFBox...

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,