Posted to users@pdfbox.apache.org by Johanneke Lamberink <jo...@onior.com> on 2015/04/14 15:06:48 UTC

Adding annotations from XFDF file to PDF document

Hi,

As part of a bigger application, I am trying to use PDFBox to combine a separate XFDF file containing annotations with a PDF document. The result should be a PDF document with annotations.

Unless I'm mistaken, PDFBox has no support for parsing XFDF annotations at this time. Are there any plans to implement this?
In an attempt to implement it myself, I have been parsing the XFDF file to create FDFAnnotation objects and then using those FDFAnnotation objects to create PDAnnotation objects. So far so good. However, the FDFAnnotation class and it's various subclasses for different annotations do not support the attributes that are required for specific annotations.
A result of this is that I have to parse String input to PDFont and PDColorspace objects (for example), and I can't discover how to do this.

For now, I have 3 questions:

  *   how do I create a PDFont object from (for example) "/Helvetica 18 Tf"
  *   how do I create a PDColorSpace object from (for example) "0.000 0.000 0.000 rg"
  *   What are your suggestions for continuing with my project. Continue working on my own solution, or implement support for XFDF annotations in PDFBox? Is anyone already working on this?

Any help is greatly appreciated :)

Johanneke Lamberink

Re: Adding annotations from XFDF file to PDF document

Posted by Maruan Sahyoun <sa...@fileaffairs.de>.
Hi,

> Am 16.04.2015 um 14:29 schrieb Johanneke Lamberink <jo...@onior.com>:
>
> Hi
>
> Thank you. In the meantime, I have some code that would probably be
> helpful. What would be the best way to get my code in the API?

the easiest would be to attach a patch to the issue.

BR
Maruan

> Kind regards,
>
> Johanneke Lamberink
>

> Op 16/4/15 14:15 schreef Maruan Sahyoun <sa...@fileaffairs.de>:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've created https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PDFBOX-2758 for that
>>
>> BR
>> Maruan
>>

>>> Am 15.04.2015 um 17:37 schrieb Johanneke Lamberink
>>> <jo...@onior.com>:
>>>
>>> Hi,

>>> I’ve made a .zip with 4 files, which you can download here:
>>>
>>> https://onior-my.sharepoint.com/personal/johanneke_lamberink_onior_com/_l
>>> ay
>>>
>>> outs/15/guestaccess.aspx?guestaccesstoken=9nNR9UdnjlmoU%2fHn9qhqXbT%2b2uW
>>> MR
>>> 5ar4CkFZjTb%2bbk%3d&docid=0f88504e606374b2fa948af871a8fb107
>>>
>>> The files are a PDF file (example-pdf.pdf), an XFDF file
>>> (example-xfdf.xml), a screenshot of the annotations that I made
>>> (example.jpg) and a screenshot of the code used and the resulting output

Posted by Johanneke Lamberink <jo...@onior.com>.
Hi,

On Friday I attached a patch file to the JIRA issue (and I just uploaded
an updated patch).

There are still some attributes (required and optional both) that are not
supported by the various PDAnnotation implementations, but I think that is
another issue.

Kind regards,

Johanneke Lamberink

Posted by Maruan Sahyoun <sa...@fileaffairs.de>.
Hi,

Posted by Johanneke Lamberink <jo...@onior.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Maruan Sahyoun <sa...@fileaffairs.de>.
Hi,

Posted by Johanneke Lamberink <jo...@onior.com>.
Hi

Posted by Maruan Sahyoun <sa...@fileaffairs.de>.
Hi,

Posted by Johanneke Lamberink <jo...@onior.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Maruan Sahyoun <sa...@fileaffairs.de>.
Hi,

Posted by Johanneke Lamberink <jo...@onior.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Andreas Lehmkuehler <an...@lehmi.de>.
Hi,

Am 14.04.2015 um 15:06 schrieb Johanneke Lamberink:
> Hi,
>
> As part of a bigger application, I am trying to use PDFBox to combine a separate XFDF file containing annotations with a PDF document. The result should be a PDF document with annotations.
>
> Unless I'm mistaken, PDFBox has no support for parsing XFDF annotations at this time. Are there any plans to implement this?
> In an attempt to implement it myself, I have been parsing the XFDF file to create FDFAnnotation objects and then using those FDFAnnotation objects to create PDAnnotation objects. So far so good. However, the FDFAnnotation class and it's various subclasses for different annotations do not support the attributes that are required for specific annotations.
> A result of this is that I have to parse String input to PDFont and PDColorspace objects (for example), and I can't discover how to do this.
>
> For now, I have 3 questions:
>
>    *   how do I create a PDFont object from (for example) "/Helvetica 18 Tf"
>    *   how do I create a PDColorSpace object from (for example) "0.000 0.000 0.000 rg"
>    *   What are your suggestions for continuing with my project. Continue working on my own solution, or implement support for XFDF annotations in PDFBox? Is anyone already working on this?
>
> Any help is greatly appreciated :)
I'm not a XFDF expert, but did you ever give org.apache.pdfbox.tools.ImportXFDF
a try? Maybe that's the missing piece you are looking for ...

P.S.: You should use the current trunk due to some recent improvements trageting
that specific area.

> Johanneke Lamberink

BR
Andreas Lehmkühler