Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Tony Collen <co...@umn.edu> on 2004/05/12 00:20:33 UTC

[Heads-Up] List Etiquette & Return Recipts (Was: Re: Asking again Portal framework login issue)

This is a just general FYI for anyone who posts to the user and -dev lists:

*Please un-set the option which causes your mail client to request a
return receipt!*

Return receipts are generally not useful, especially when the message
you are sending likely gets read by thousands of people.

Additionally, they usually cause the recipient's mail client to open a
dialogue box asking whether they want to send a return receipt.  Highly
annoying!!

Thanks for your time,

Tony, hoping he did not sound too angry

Re: [Heads-Up] List Etiquette & Return Recipts (Was: Re: Asking again Portal framework login issue)

Posted by Geoff Howard <co...@leverageweb.com>.
Sylvain Wallez wrote:
> Tony Collen wrote:
>
>> This is a just general FYI for anyone who posts to the user and -dev
>> lists:
>>
>> *Please un-set the option which causes your mail client to request a
>> return receipt!*

> A good way to "invite" people to disable this option is for everybody to
> send the return receipt. I'm sure receiving several hundreds of
> confirmations will make them run to their mailer preferences to disable
> the feature ;-)

As this is controlled by the Disposition-Notification-To header (IIUC) can ezmlm
be configured to strip this off all messages before relaying to the list?  I
hate these things too, but know that some people use them for most business
communication and probably can't pick settings per-email.

Geoff

Re: [Heads-Up] List Etiquette & Return Recipts (Was: Re: Asking againPortal framework login issue)

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agssa.net>.
Sylvain Wallez dijo:
> Tony Collen wrote:
>
>> This is a just general FYI for anyone who posts to the user and -dev
>> lists:
>>
>> *Please un-set the option which causes your mail client to request a
>> return receipt!*
>>
>> Return receipts are generally not useful, especially when the message
>> you are sending likely gets read by thousands of people.
>>
>> Additionally, they usually cause the recipient's mail client to open a
>> dialogue box asking whether they want to send a return receipt.
>> Highly annoying!!
>>
>> Thanks for your time,
>>
>> Tony, hoping he did not sound too angry
>

> No problem Tony!
>
> A good way to "invite" people to disable this option is for everybody to
> send the return receipt. I'm sure receiving several hundreds of
> confirmations will make them run to their mailer preferences to disable
> the feature ;-)

We can add this info here:

http://cocoon.apache.org/community/mail-lists.html

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo

Re: [Heads-Up] List Etiquette & Return Recipts (Was: Re: Asking again Portal framework login issue)

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@apache.org>.
Tony Collen wrote:

> This is a just general FYI for anyone who posts to the user and -dev
> lists:
>
> *Please un-set the option which causes your mail client to request a
> return receipt!*
>
> Return receipts are generally not useful, especially when the message
> you are sending likely gets read by thousands of people.
>
> Additionally, they usually cause the recipient's mail client to open a
> dialogue box asking whether they want to send a return receipt.
> Highly annoying!!
>
> Thanks for your time,
>
> Tony, hoping he did not sound too angry

No problem Tony!

A good way to "invite" people to disable this option is for everybody to
send the return receipt. I'm sure receiving several hundreds of
confirmations will make them run to their mailer preferences to disable
the feature ;-)

Sylvain

Re: [Heads-Up] List Etiquette & Return Recipts (Was: Re: Asking again Portal framework login issue)

Posted by Sylvain Wallez <sy...@apache.org>.