Posted to dev@vcl.apache.org by Melba Lopez <mi...@gmail.com> on 2009/04/14 22:59:39 UTC

xp reservation logs admin out

Initially after deploying our XP image, RDP continued to refuse connection
using the credentials given in the VCL web interface.  We later found this
link (not mentioned in the wiki), that requires you to enable remote
connection. (Perhaps this should be added to the wiki?)

http://vcl.ncsu.edu/help/applications-images/creating-windows-xp-base-images

3. Setup environment (most of following are recommendations just to create
default configuration):
- go to Start->My Computer->right click and choose "Show on Desktop"
- in "System Properties" (Start->My Computer->right click->Properties) under
"Remote" tab, check "Allow users to connect remotely to this computer" -
IMPORTANT!

After enabling this setting and redeploying, we encountered a new error
where admin logs you in momentarily and quickly logs you out of the account.

I tried this several times, even redoing the image to ensure I followed the
steps in the wiki, but I see the same result along with some inconsistencies
in between.  I've encountered 2 different scenarios more than once (with the
same base image unchanged):

Scenario 1:
Once the VM is booting, root gets logged in and it runs its scripts.
 Because of the VCLprepare.cmd script, it should automatically log off root,
but in this scenario, this does not happen.  Thus, I go and log off root
manually.  I then see the "admin" account in the gui.  I try to RDP with the
credentials (and try the downloaded rdp file), and it will quickly log me in
and out.

Scenario 2:
VM boots up and root logs in, runs scripts and logs out.  The gui only shows
root and does not show an "admin" account.  I try to RDP with the
credentials (and try the downloaded rdp file), and it will quickly log me in
and out.  When I reboot the VM, the admin account now shows up in the gui.
 Using the downloaded rdp file, it gives me an error connecting to the VM.
 I then try using RDP manually, I'm able to login to admin, but it quickly
logs me out.

What scripts are being run at admin logon?  Is there a script or a setting I
forgot to implement?

--
Melba Lopez
milopez@gmail.com

Re: xp reservation logs admin out

Posted by Melba Lopez <mi...@gmail.com>.
I've updated the wiki to include changes that we discussed that allowed me
to have a successful XP deployment.

http://wiki.oscr.ncsu.edu/wiki/index.php/Creating_a_base_windows_ESX_image_for_VCL#More_stuff_to_do

Summary of Changes:

   - Added "Setup environment for Remote Access".
      -  Without this, the user is unable to RDP into the admin account VCL
      creates.
      - Moved VCL Sysprep scripts to the end of the section AFTER
   auto_create_image.vbs.
   - If done before, scripts will log you out of root during setup.
   - Added to copy VCLprepare.cmd to the Group Policy Logon Folder
   - Added comment to not include path, but only include Filename for log
   on/off scripts
      - Without the two mentioned above, you see the problem where its
      pointing to Documents & Settings and admin will always be logged
out after
      reservation.
   - Added gpupdate /force command

Thanks to Andy, Aaron, and Brian for all your help.

Posted by Melba Lopez <mi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Aaron Peeler <aa...@ncsu.edu>.