Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Raphaël Piéroni <ra...@apache.org> on 2008/02/09 04:40:41 UTC

[ANN] Maven Archetype Plugin 2.0-alpha-1 for Maven 2 Released

The Maven team is pleased to announce the release of the Maven
Archetype Plugin, version 2.0-alpha-1

You can use it by calling mvn archetype:create

Release Notes - Maven 2.x Archetype Plugin - Version 2.0-alpha-1

** Bug
    * [ARCHETYPE-82] - add-groups doesn't create archetype.xml
    * [ARCHETYPE-83] - archetypeng:create crashes with
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
org.apache.maven.plugin.resource.loader.ProjectResourceLoader
    * [ARCHETYPE-84] - need a way to preserve the java package in
create-from-project
    * [ARCHETYPE-87] - create-from-project replaces too many things in
the pom with variables
    * [ARCHETYPE-88] - sometimes add-groups fails when there is a pom present
    * [ARCHETYPE-90] - all the contents of an archetype shouldn't be
processed by velocity during creation
    * [ARCHETYPE-91] - create is prompting for a package
    * [ARCHETYPE-93] - archetypeng:create loop forever when the
selected group contains no archetype
    * [ARCHETYPE-94] - Archetype not registered when installed in
local repository
    * [ARCHETYPE-97] - <modules> section is missing after using
create-from-project
    * [ARCHETYPE-98] - parents in modules are not always correctly updated
    * [ARCHETYPE-99] - child module is getting replaced with parent
artifactId and groupId
    * [ARCHETYPE-100] - sibling dependencies are not updated
    * [ARCHETYPE-103] - acrchetype.properties should be in /target not root
    * [ARCHETYPE-104] - module name changed for unknown reason
    * [ARCHETYPE-105] - not able to create from project with
sibling-dependencies test project
    * [ARCHETYPE-121] - build don't works on windows and jdk1.4

** Improvement
    * [ARCHETYPE-114] - NG code should not depend on Maven 2.1

** New Feature
    * [ARCHETYPE-95] - Provide creation of partial archetypes in
create-from-project

** Task
    * [ARCHETYPE-72] - Generate standard archetypes from real projects

Enjoy,

-The Maven team

Re: [ANN] Maven Archetype Plugin 2.0-alpha-1 for Maven 2 Released

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
Nice work Raphaël.

On 8-Feb-08, at 7:40 PM, Raphaël Piéroni wrote:

> The Maven team is pleased to announce the release of the Maven
> Archetype Plugin, version 2.0-alpha-1
>

> You can use it by calling mvn archetype:create
>
> Release Notes - Maven 2.x Archetype Plugin - Version 2.0-alpha-1
>
> ** Bug
>    * [ARCHETYPE-82] - add-groups doesn't create archetype.xml
>    * [ARCHETYPE-83] - archetypeng:create crashes with
> java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
> org.apache.maven.plugin.resource.loader.ProjectResourceLoader
>    * [ARCHETYPE-84] - need a way to preserve the java package in
> create-from-project
>    * [ARCHETYPE-87] - create-from-project replaces too many things in
> the pom with variables
>    * [ARCHETYPE-88] - sometimes add-groups fails when there is a pom
> present
>    * [ARCHETYPE-90] - all the contents of an archetype shouldn't be
> processed by velocity during creation
>    * [ARCHETYPE-91] - create is prompting for a package
>    * [ARCHETYPE-93] - archetypeng:create loop forever when the
> selected group contains no archetype
>    * [ARCHETYPE-94] - Archetype not registered when installed in
> local repository
>    * [ARCHETYPE-97] - <modules> section is missing after using
> create-from-project
>    * [ARCHETYPE-98] - parents in modules are not always correctly
> updated
>    * [ARCHETYPE-99] - child module is getting replaced with parent
> artifactId and groupId
>    * [ARCHETYPE-100] - sibling dependencies are not updated
>    * [ARCHETYPE-103] - acrchetype.properties should be in /target
> not root
>    * [ARCHETYPE-104] - module name changed for unknown reason
>    * [ARCHETYPE-105] - not able to create from project with
> sibling-dependencies test project
>    * [ARCHETYPE-121] - build don't works on windows and jdk1.4
>
> ** Improvement
>    * [ARCHETYPE-114] - NG code should not depend on Maven 2.1
>
> ** New Feature
>    * [ARCHETYPE-95] - Provide creation of partial archetypes in
> create-from-project
>
> ** Task
>    * [ARCHETYPE-72] - Generate standard archetypes from real projects
>
> Enjoy,
>
> -The Maven team

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
jason at sonatype dot com

Our achievements speak for themselves. What we have to keep track
of are our failures, discouragements and doubts. We tend to forget
the past difficulties, the many false starts, and the painful
groping. We see our past achievements as the end result of a
clean forward thrust, and our present difficulties as
signs of decline and decay.

-- Eric Hoffer, Reflections on the Human Condition

Re: [ANN] Maven Archetype Plugin 2.0-alpha-1 for Maven 2 Released

Posted by Benjamin Bentmann <be...@udo.edu>.
> I've published the new docs here:
> http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-archetype-plugin/ .  (It's
> strange, the menu I see there doesn't match src/site/site.xml, but I'm
> out of time to work on it.)

As you seem to use maven-site-plugin:2.0-beta-6, your problem might be
caused by MSITE-279 where I faced a problem that sounds like your
description.

Regards,

Benjamin Bentmann

Re: [ANN] Maven Archetype Plugin 2.0-alpha-1 for Maven 2 Released

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On Feb 9, 2008 9:39 AM, Raphaël Piéroni <ra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The documentation you saw is:
> - not yet committed
> - generated from the plugin module
> the documentation in the parent module is 1 year old. and appart from
> the descriptor, a bit dated.
>
> I commit now the release is done.

This part still puzzles me. :)

I've published the new docs here:
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-archetype-plugin/ .  (It's
strange, the menu I see there doesn't match src/site/site.xml, but I'm
out of time to work on it.)

On the Plugins page, I linked to both the 2.0 and 1.0-alpha-7
Archetype plugin docs.  Many people will still be using 1.0 for a
while, and I want to make it easy to find both sets of documentation
and code.

(I also published the Archetype project docs at
http://maven.apache.org/maven-archetype .)

Thanks again, Raphaël!

--
Wendy

Re: [ANN] Maven Archetype Plugin 2.0-alpha-1 for Maven 2 Released

Posted by Raphaël Piéroni <ra...@gmail.com>.
The documentation you saw is:
- not yet committed
- generated from the plugin module
the documentation in the parent module is 1 year old. and appart from
the descriptor, a bit dated.

I commit now the release is done.

Regards,

Raphaël

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On 18-Feb-08, at 4:55 AM, Richard Chamberlain wrote:

> This new plugin seems to be a great improvement and I welcome the
> further development.
>
> However, i'm not sure if it was intended to be picked up by the
> whole maven user population?

It is as a consequence of Maven auto-updating which we recognize as a
problem.

The problem has been fixed and we'll get a release out ASAP.

> This is because:
> - There is no backwards compatability, suddenly maven no longer
> works as it used to
> - The documentation on the new plugin has lots of broken links in it
> and is unusable
> - The archetype guides on the main maven site are now all incorrect

All will be back to regularly scheduled programming with the alpha-2.

> Surely all this needed to be fixed before the whole community
> started using the new plugin?
>
> I understand that the plugins are alpha versions and can change, but
> to suddenly make things alot worse wasn’t a great experience.
>
> Apologies for moaning about an improvement to the tool!
>
> Rich

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
jason at sonatype dot com

A man enjoys his work when he understands the whole and when he
is responsible for the quality of the whole

-- Christopher Alexander, A Pattern Language

RE: [ANN] Maven Archetype Plugin 2.0-alpha-1 for Maven 2 Released

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.
Yes it is.

Is this the new Archetype NG Plugin that allows creating archetypes
from existing projects?

Thanks,

Matt

Posted by Matt Raible <mr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Bohtvaroh <bo...@gmail.com>.
Hello.

Milos, IMO,  this archetype is usual single-module one. It is not aware
about second module 'module1' inside and simply attach it as main module
resources.

What I am talking about is the possibility to create archetype with multiple
modules which can process $packageName for each nested module sources. Also,
it could be cool to be able to create a 'meta-archetype' - archetype which
modules are only links to concrete single-module archetypes. This could give
us greet flexibility. :)

Alexander

Posted by Milos Kleint <mk...@gmail.com>.
this could help.

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 5:52 PM, Bohtvaroh <bo...@gmail.com> wrote:

>  Is this  http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/ARCHETYPE-23 ARCHETYPE-23
>  implemented in this version? If so, is there some docs about using it?
>  Thanx.

That looks interesting.  I'd suggest starting a new thread with a
descriptive subject line, and describe what you want to do.

--
Wendy

Re: [ANN] Maven Archetype Plugin 2.0-alpha-1 for Maven 2 Released